Thread: help deciphering teaching ad

Question help deciphering teaching ad

Hi, all.

I sometimes check in with the Education Gazette just to see if there are any vacancies in regions where my OH and I are thinking of settling. There are two listed that I am curious about, but I'm not sure what the ad means!

Here's part of the ad:

"All positions are regraded, there are no actual vacancies. Assistant HOD English, 1MU; and EPF lead teacher (FTMU)."

Ok, I have not heard of the term "regraded" used with an ad. Does this mean the position has been created due to need within the department?

And since there are "no actual vacancies," does this mean there is a chance they could hold the job a few months? (long shot, I know).

"HOD" means head of department, but what does 1MU refer to? I think MU is management unit, but I'm not sure about the 1.

The other position says "EPF"--meaning what?? and "FTMU" is something management unit...hmm??

Any help would be appreciated! I think my brain cells are fried, post-ITA

Last, there's an email address attached to the ad for which applicants are to inquire about job description and application. What is the suggested protocol regarding an email? How much info do I give with the inquiry about the job openings?

Here goes - I think this is right...

"Positions regraded - No actual vacancy" means pretty much that. It means that the school already has teachers to fill the positions, they are shifting / promoting internal staff around eg. from classroom teacher to Head of Department (HOD) and there are no actual vacancies - but they have to advertise the positions to comply with legislation... crazy I know. Mr Rr changed positions in his school at one point, they had to advertise his new position as above, no-one got an 'interview' except him, he got the job - surprise. So in your ad the school already has a classroom teacher of English who is being promoted to Assistant HOD - they are advertising the position but the current teacher will get it.

1MU - Management Unit are additional pay units for taking on managerial positions. I think 1MU = $3000 pa. An HOD usually warrants 3MU, an Assistant HOD 1-2MUs.

Sorry no idea about the EPF or FTMU!!

Email enquiry can be as long or short as you want. I would go for semi formal - I am writing to obtain blah blah blah . It's up to you if you want to explain your situation at this stage or in your application.

Good luck!

Thanks, Ruthyroo. I see what you mean....yes, we have those kinds of internal transfers here. Sometimes the ad for the job is conveniently low key as to not draw out any interest from outside of the organization.

It sounds like I should reserve my energy for an actual vacancy, then? I can't go to NZ until September, so if they are planning/hoping for internal transfer for the positions I found, they'll certainly not want to bother with me.

At least I understand a bit more about ads now...I do wonder about the other one, though--EPF or FTMU---what do these stand for? any takers?

I wrote a huge reply explaining everything and a power outage in my building meant my computer crashed before I posted it...

Anyway, Ruthyroo has explained the main part. There are no actual vacancies.

The part she didn't explain is EPF (Enhanced Programme Fund), which is a fund for schools to apply to for pupils with special needs. FTMU is a non-teaching post which will manage this fund for the school. (Full Time Management Unit.)