Thread: Shipping from California to NZ?

Default Shipping from California to NZ?

I found a description of someone who rented a non-operating refrigerated container to ship stuff from the USA to New Zealand for $1500. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/cultures/ne...section-6.html

There was no date on the page, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this recently, and what the cost was.

Or, alternately, anybody get quote on renting a 20' container from West Coast (USA) ports to Auckland or Wellington? Or shipping their household goods via a moving company?

I could call around, but right now I'm just trying to develop a budget and/or decide whether I should ditch all my stuff here :

Thanks!

Laura

Hi, sweetpea,

When my husband and I were planning our migration to NZ earlier this year, we got quotes to ship from the West Coast over to Christchurch and into Blenheim. I doubt the costs to you would be significantly different. Without insurance, a 20' container was quoted from Allied for $8,600. This included packing up this end, land and sea transportation and unloading on the other end. Interestingly, for a 40' container, the cost was $8,800. Had we gone, we would have loaded up the 40' container with our stuff and put tools and antiques in the room we had left over, to sell in NZ and offset the cost of the container -- would probably have practically paid for itself.

Another friend recently moved from Santa Barbara to Napier. Her costs were almost exactly the same.

I can tell you that in my many discussions with others who had gone before, they unanimously recommended, "Take EVERYTHING!!" My understanding is you can't replace your goods in NZ for what they cost you here, and even adding in the (rather shocking) cost of transporting them, you'll still come out ahead. Plus the comfort of having your own familiar things around can have no price. I do know that the arrival of one's container has occasioned more than one party on this and other forums! That said, some items won't work in NZ, so it's best to get rid of them before you go: Washer and dryer, some electronics, microwave, etc.

Good luck to you in your moving adventures!!

All the best, Rae

$8600! Wow. I could justify spending up to $2000, but I don't think my stuff is worth that much. Still, thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

Laura

This was our quote from Allied: For 6500 pounds (US) of goods it would have been $7265 not including insurance. Add shipping our truck in the container (40 ft.) and the total would have been $10430. If the truck was separate, it would cost $4650. As it turns out, we had more than 6500 pounds, so it is going to cost more than the quote. When I get the final number, I'll update. Insurance was $25 for every $1000 of insured items. Ouch is all I can say!! We are definitely wondering if we should have taken less! Let's hope that all that advice about selling stuff for a profit in NZ is true!!

Melissa

really intriguing link! thanks...not too eager to spend $10k.

the customs reqs sound really stiff - completely itemized list including how they are cleaned?? geez...