Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NZ University Degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    for comparing degrees in Australia and N. America where a university degree requires 4 years. This was the 1st distinction i've noticed when comparing my degree to my cousin's degree earned in NZ.
    Although I argree with most of what BQ stated, the 4 year university degree has only been made mandatory in Ontario with the removal of OAC (Grade 13 / Form 7) from high school in 2002.

The 4th year of my bachelor's degree in science (mathematics) gave it the honours distinction and was an optional year. The NZQA did not see the extra year as an honours distinction as it assumes that every Canadian province has/had the same standards. I will unfortunately lose this qualification in our move as my degree was assessed as not having an honours equivalent in New Zealand.

Cheers,

Mark.

BQ, it would be helpful if you could make a clearer distinction between facts and personal opinions in your posts.
    Absolute #s here. Does 3 years = 4 years or people studying a 4 year degree program less intelligent?

Comparing the number of courses within a degree does not prove anything other than one programme requires more courses than another. What one university can cover in 3 courses another institute could cover in less than 2 courses, so the number of courses you do in a degree is no measure of the depth and content of the programme of study.
    I've compared it. I've looked at a local NZ uni course calendar and made comparisons. The extra 4th year meant I had professors that were experts in that area of their teaching. As mentioned before, a full book on ie. labour economics would only be covered as a chapter in a generalised course my cousin took (and how long does it take for a professor to cover a chapter in a text book? (1 or 2 weeks of class?).

Universities in NZ need to change with time. One can not assume that every subject has a fixed amount of learning (some exceptions like Mathmatics and Physics don't change much). But in the area of say science, there will always be MORE discoveries and thus, more information that gets crammed into the text book. Watering it down is one way to keep the text book within size (and within a 3 year teaching) but is this good?

I think you're trying to get that at the 'end result' a degree here is the same as a degree earned anywhere. But in the real world that is not true because we all know that not all cars are made the same and not all employers pay the same pay for the same degree at any university.

from Mark's post:

I will unfortunately lose this qualification in our move as my degree was assessed as not having an honours equivalent in New Zealand.
    yes it works both ways. But if you were to apply to a university in the US, you'll find your degree will be taken as face value.

BQ

Does 3 years = 4 years or people studying a 4 year degree program less intelligent?
    the university of toronto and university of british columbia websites are quite clear about the fact that they consider uk bachelors with honours degrees taken over 3 years (as they pretty much all are in the uk) to be the equivalent level of study to the canadian four year bachelors with honours. so perhaps in some cases 3 years does = 4 years

In Canada they treat only American degrees at face value. Same goes for the employers..A degree from UK,India, China would not be treated at the same level by most employers. A coworker had a Masters (Comp Sci) from UK and still had real tough time getting a job whereas he would have had multiple offers with just a Canadian BSc (Comp Sci). The real test of education is when the person goes to get a job (where the rubber meets the road)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12