Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Private school vs. Public

Default Private school vs. Public

Hi, I've been following the threads that relate to the strengths and weaknesses of education in NZ. We are currently looking at Christch (maybe Auk). We are from the west coast of the U.S. but have been living in Europe for the past year. Our daughters (ages 6, 10, 12) attend an international school that they do not find challenging (especially in math where they are being taught stuff that they learned 2 years ago)- so I can see that our situation may be similar to some of the folks who have relocated from the U.K. and have found the NZ state schools to be a few years behind. (which is fine if the kids are happy and they aren't stressed about going back and being behind their peers).

So at this point, we have concluded that a private school is the way to go for our kids. Are the private schools more academically rigorous/challenging than the public schools and comparable to U.K or U.S. schools? (we are looking at Rangi Ruru, St. Andrews...in CC). Is there anyone out there that has had the experience of relocating to NZ from the U.S. or U.K. and could comment on how the private academic standards compare? THANKS!

Hi, we are former expats having lived in the USA and Asia, we have two boys and both have been going to international private schools.

Schooling was VERY important to us and we did loads of research..we have moved to ChCh.

The following may be of interest to you.

We found all the private schools where very full, some would not even give us a tour as they had long wait lists.

In ChCh state school are zoned so to get into your chossen state school you need to buy/rent a house in that zone.

After a long story, which I am sure will bore you, we oppted for the Boys High School, turning down a place at Christs collage, why? because we felt we could get the same education, they had a better chose of sports, had to learn to deal which children from all walks of life. yes there are advangtes going to such prest. schools but look at your child and the school.

For Ch CH I would look at the girls high and Burnside before you go down the private school route. I would advise you to get their names down at the private schools ASAP if thats the way you want to go

FYI we have met two neigbours who have girls and while both could afford to send their children to top private girls schools they oppted for CHCH girls high, one has just started uni to become a Dr the other in hoping to get a scholarship to go to an overseas uni.

I don't know about private schools, but I am delighted with my childrens' new school in Cambridge. My oldest daughter is v bright, and has been drifting along without having to work at all for years in the UK, but she now seems really stimulated and excited by her NZ school. The combination of lots of physical activity and studious, hard working classrooms has really worked for her. Her spellings that she is sent home with are really difficult ( she is 10 - spellings like definitely and accommodation that many adults get wrong) because they tested her at the start of term and have differentiated for her. Her homework is also challenging and interesting (extra hard for brighter pupils again) with consequences if not done. I am really happy with the NZ state school. I spent a lot of time researching the best school in the area before I came, and I work for the Minestry of Education, so I know what I'm looking for - and I'm pleased. No need for private!

SamB - Can I ask what sort of assessment they did when your daughter started at school? Was it PATS or asTTle, or something else completely?

Well, to decide the level of spellings they just did a spelling test - 60 words of increasing difficulty (she was a bit peeved because there were 2 really long Maori placenames at the end which she got wrong!). They also got her to do some maths, creative writing and other stuff, but I don't think they did any formal recognised testing. But hey - I'm only going on Poppy's information and she can be fairly monosyllabic when quizzed about school related stuff!!

It is great to hear that some positive responses about the public schools. (especially since I've read a lot of negative posts). It is also great to hear that the public schools assess kids and provide differentiated learning (is this common in all NZ public schools?) We have found that a lot of the satisfaction with a particular school depends on persepective and expectations. At my kids' current international school, some families, who haven't been anywhere else, love the school. However, new American and UK families are extremely frustrated since the academics are so far behind compared to where they have come from- so a lot end up leaving after the first year. It is interesting that there can be such a diverging opinion of the same school. (I've heard this is common in international schools). That is why it seems like the private route would involve less risk for us.

Can I ask how much homework your 10 year old has per night. My 10 year old had an hour plus back in the U.S. but next to nothing at her international school since she finishes it at school. Not that the amount of homework is the most important thing- I just want my kids, who are eager to learn- to be challenged and happy.

Also, my girls play a lot of sports and we have enjoyed that their current international school is not overly competitive like sports in the U.S. How are the sports at the schools in NZ- or maybe that is a topic for a new thread?
    :-)

First homework - She is expected to read every night (try stopping her), and has 20 spellings to learn for a test each week, and a times table to learn for a test each week. She is also expected to complete 2 pages of a homework book that has a mixture of English, science and maths exercises in it. She occasionally has to research things on the internet - e.g.one week she had to look up her carbon footprint and another research an endangered NZ species. Overall she has about 2-3 hours per week, not including the reading, which doesn't count anyway. Enough for a 10 year old I think. When she is not doing homework, she is often at her most creative, writing stories etc - too much homework or extra-curricular activity can be a bit stifling I think.

Sports - much, much more physical activity than in the UK. The school has 3 adventure playgrounds, 2 tennis courts, a swimming pool, tonnes of playing fields. Children have swimming lessons every day, can also swim at lunch time (and do). I think there are lots of team sports, but on the whole she is not interested, so does not do sport out of school time, but still lots of general P.E. lessons like rugby skills - which surprisingly she seems to enjoy.

I believe that bright, well-motivated children will do well anywhere and be all the better for being with a balanced social mix.

Thank you for bringing this subject up!

The husband's cousin's girls attend Avonside Girls High school, I would be please to hear what primary schools are good for my girls.

My girls attend a public primary school in Sydney. (south west).

Thanks

We live in Chch and sent our son to a public school, then placed him in Cathedral Grammar (the feeder school for Christ College) He is now in Year 9 attending St Andrew's. He is a week boarder (by his choice). And, reports on a daily basis that he 'loves' it. The sports choices are huge. huge.
    As far as academic quality...there are many personal stories used to compare one school to another, and to justify various parental choices.

We decided to research the stndardized test schools. Rangi, St. Andrew's and Christ's College lead the South Island (and therefore Christchurch too) Boy's High and Girl's High followed. And then a long list of other schools. I see mention of Burnside, which placed high among the public schools. This was last year's resluts.

For us it was a toss up between Christ College and St. Andrew's. The cost is about the same. Christ College is older, St Andrew's is Co-ed. We chose St Andrew's because they have a better shooting team, better technology labs. and a different boarding policy that appealed to us. However, I would not say it is 'better.'

Our son is quite academic, so test results were important. And, coming from the US, it has been a challenge to align with the math programs in NZ schools. Initially, he was more than 2 years ahead. Now, at the high school level, the direction that math takes is different...and he is in a good place.

To say that the public schools are just as good as private is probably not accurate. I think it is more accurate to say that top students at any of the schools are likely to preform very well, no matter which school. But there are significant differences. In dicipline, behaviour, bullying (a major NZ prolem, test scores and cultural offerings.) We have visited Christ's COllege, St Andrew's, Boy's High. And, they are not at all the same.

Our son is/will be in the folowing sports for this year: Yatching and Sailing Team, squash, rugby, tennis, clay shooting, hockey, swimming, chess.
    And that was the list after I made him narrow it down! All the big schools have tons of sports. THis was from the St Andrew's List.

I can only tell you that my son, and his peers, all want to stay at school for the weekends...they just love the whole thing. Wow! What a great situation.

The Chch Press published last years test info.

Yours,
    Jennifer

hi jennifer- thank you so much for your informative reply! It helps to have an opinion from someone who has experience/perspective from both types of schools. It is also nice to hear that a lot of people are happy with their choice of public schools. We have set up meetings with 3 private schools including Selwyn House which I understand is also a feeder school. Were you happy with Cathedral Grammar as well? thanks!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast