Thread: Crown Relocations

Post Crown Relocations

OH has job offer which include relocation package with crown. Has anyone used this service ? What's it like ?. I know we're really lucky we only have to sort out dog and caravan ( if we bring it ). They're also meant to be helping to organise visits to schools, estate agents during our Easter visit. Although i think it may be a little difficult to visit schools during the easter holidays.

Crown have a large operation here in NZ. We used them coming from HK.
    They have a good rep but I am sure you will find people who have had bad expereances....every company has bad days.

I think they are good to use because it will be the comapny packers and unpackers at each end not agents.

Make sure your quote states that they will unpack at this end as I think its not somthing they usualy do...they sent 2 men to unload and unpack a 40ft..in the end it took them 4 days with several men. You want them to unpack!

They also have relocation services...someone who will help you to set up house, get conected etc...if the company will pay for it...take it..its a great help

We used them, packed up a 20ft containers worth of stuff over two days, and unpacked in about 5 hours (including rebuild of our furniture that had been dismantled)

No complaints about the workmanship of the packers at all. Only two small breakages, and it was nothing valuable anyway.

Default a bit expensive and arrogant

We probably had somewhat similar situation as you. We were offered limited amount to use with Crown Relocation by the employer for a move from the US. The first quote for 20' container was 20,584.46 NZD by Crown Relocation. After arquing it was reduced to 18,395.00NZD. Finally two liftvan crates were quoted to as $11,690NZD. All these quotes were far above $8000NZD (amount we were willing to work with). When we asked what could be sent for that amount from the list of items we had, they were not willing to work whithin this amount. Also, in our case, packing in the US would have been done by the local contractor.

Therefore we are currently moving using another company. Swallowed the pride and borrowed the money from friends as with other companies we do get reimbursed only after giving receipt. We did get 3 quotes for 20' container and decided to go with Global-Ocean Freight for around 8598 NZD ($6043USD). Other Quotes were: Globex $6350USD, upackweship$5900USD. All those 3 quotes when calcluated to NZD were at least twice! lower than $18,395NZD quoted by the Crown Relocation for 20' feet container.

Please note that the Crown Relocation (or actually their contractor) estimated the size of the move to be 20'feet container. When we argued, that we don't have enough stuff, it was replied, that their contractor is never wrong more than 20%. Believing that, we did got the 20' container, but really we had less than 10' of stuff and the container left half empty.

Additional experince: Take care with international move. We thought that we did a good job packing/wrapping stuff (paper then plastic wrap). Movers wrapped most of the items again to be complaint. That is what added almost $700USD and did bring our price from just below 8000NZD to 8598NZD.

We hope it helps.
    M&J

Just be carful on self packing....most insurance companies will not insure you if you self pack....and you will have a realy hard time claiming if anything brakes.....always check witj your insurance and get everything in writting

Hi Clodestar,

We used Crown for our move from Essex. Found them very good and helpful. 4 guys packed and loaded a 20' container over a day and a half, and 2 guys worked very hard unloading at the other end. No problems with Maf as Crown sorts it all out and they collected all the excess packing materials at no charge.

Only gripe is that the UK packers (one young lad really) packed some stuff strangely and it meant we were short on space in the container and had to leave the washing machine behind. We complained to Crown and were given compensation without any problem.

I do know they offer the full relocation package and have advisors that can help you out with finding accommodation etc. Their office is near Petone so it's not far to go and see them from Kapiti if you've any problems.

I'd certainly use them again and I know of others who've used them and would recommend them.

If you've any other questions let me know.

Karen

Default Thanks

Thank you im much happier .So far they have been great - organised flights/accomodation/car for visit next week. They even got us better rate on car and accomodation than we could have got. OH company paid for so much but we've decided to stay for longer too get a really good idea of area. Crown are coming to estimate how much container space we need etc when we get back. IMO at least 40ft container required even though i'm going through sorting out as we speak. Luckily OH company will relocate all personal possessions we just pay for dog and caravan if we bring it.