Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbits!

There are already dogs and cats in NZ so what on earth difference does it make if more are brought in. All new entries have to be neutered anyway so they are not going to increase the population by much. I could understand if it was the introduction of a new type of animal which would disturb the balance of NZ's ecology, but this is not the case.

My new house already has a cat flap in it - so I'm sure I won't be offending too many New Zealanders by bringing my cat with me and the bird population around my new house must be used to having a cat wandering around.

My cat has a bell around his neck and is not very successful in catching birds because of this.

It's not very often that people are lambasted on this forum, it's normally quite polite and I'm sorry that you have been Poacher.

Sandra

evelien, I know nothing about you as you are not open enough to give information about yourself for the profile. the only thing I now know about you is that you are very uncomprimising in your opinions, not always a good trait for people looking to live in another country.

People like myself who are interested enough in their animals to bring them out here are the type of people who care enough to have them trained and not let them run loose, most often they are people who also care enough about wildlife to care for the environment.

My own feelings on the environment are fairly committed too and the thing that causes the most damage is people. so whats your solution for that. Are you prepared to take that principle and stay where you are, or as there are people here does that make it OK. If so, on your principles its ok for me to bring my dogs over, because as someone else said, they are here already. Any introduced species, (sheep being a case in point) even with the best intentions changes the environment it goes to but you can't change history.
    Try to be more mellow, I know you have made me step back from you and feel you have hurt Poacher by your strong opinion, please leave room for our opinions too, they are just as valid as yours.

I wasn't expecting a post like that on here, sorry you were at the end of it poacher!

I can't help with your queries on rabbits, but I can fully understand you wanting to bring your beloved pets with you.

We re-homed all of ours with friends in the UK, but they are missed terribly and I am sure the settling process would be far easier if we had them with us

Hope I didn't step on anyones toes with bringing rabbits. Evilyn, should try to understand that introducing animals to new countries, continents etc... Does not always have a detrimental effect.

New Zealand is heralded as a Mecca for trout fishing. A true boon for the tourism industry. Wanna guess where the eggs from ALL New Zealand trout came from?

That right, they were (cue hollywood drama music theme) "DUN DUN DUN." INTRODUCED :eek :eek :eek from Northern Ca around the turn of the century.

I for one cant wait to set my line into a five pound rainbow, get that cast iron skillet smoking, roll that baby in corn meal and fry up and camp diner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Sandra
    There are already dogs and cats in NZ so what on earth difference does it make if more are brought in. All new entries have to be neutered anyway so they are not going to increase the population by much.
    You're not required to neuter your cats and dogs before bringing them to NZ. If they're pets, that's the best thing to do, but it's not mandatory.

(I'll be importing unneutered felines, but that's because I show and occasionally breed cats - they stay strictly indoors, and wouldn't know how to kill a bird even if you gave them directions and a sledgehammer)

Default Non-indigenous, don't make me laugh !

The introduction of non-indigenous species to NZ is a very HOT and touchy subject. I can understand this - it IS a beautiful country.

However, Kiwis seem to want their cake and eat it. Non-indigenous means not welcome - unless there is a profit in it. Take sheep, cattle, trout, poultry, flowers, grapes, olives etc. I can perhaps understand why the poor old possum is always under attack but take a look in any tourist shop - there is always plenty of fur around !

Apart from a few birds, NZ had nothing before, not even people. But the country has, as countries do - and not always naturally - evolved. Yet ironically, those complaining loudest about the introduction of new species are themselves the product of a species introduced in the not too distant past.

It makes me laugh the way Kiwis are so protective of the coutryside (or Bush). You should see the way the majority of them treat it. The only reason it isn't noticed so much is that there is a lot of it. Oh yes, and anything that moves is fair game for the shotgun.

So, don't bring your rabbit !

Perhaps Evil Lyn is confusing domestic rabbits with the 20ft Bunnies in 'Night of the Lepus' ???

Sorry I missed this one, clicked in expecting a nice fluffy thread and what can I say, except somebody won't be getting any Christmas presents...

As rabbits aren't too good with the computer apart from eating the cable on my husband's laptop, Gilbert and Ernest (my rabbits - not my children) would like me to thank all those pro-bunny lot on this site for their support.

As Thumper the rabbit in Bambi says "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

Seriously, this was only my second posting and I have realised what a brilliant lot of people are on this site - I can especially relate to the warped sense of humour some of you have got.

Thanks

Ps.

What I really want to know is whether MAF will object to my Reindeer team,

...'you know Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid and Donner and Blitzen

And of course do you recall Rudolph, without whom my Long Term Business Visa is a non-starter...

HO HO HO

My wife told me I get extra points on my EOI if I get neutered.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast