Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbits!

Default Rabbits!

Does anyone know if you can take pet rabbits to NZ. Ours have been fully vaccinated. Have looked at MAF site but still not sure. :hopeso

How can you be called poacher and keep rabbits

Hi, poacher,

I don't know specifically about pet rabbits, but I can tell you that rabbits in general are considered vermin and a huge pest both in NZ and Aussie. You would need to check this out specifically with MAF: enquiry@maf.govt.nz

My guess is you might be able to bring pet rabbits in provided they are spayed or neutered. Almost certain if they are not, there is no way they will be allowed.

Best of luck! - Rae

Just a nickname - I'm actually vegetarian!

Rabbits, sort of a tough one here. I was in N.Z about 14 years ago, and they were in the middle of a drought, in winter none the less.

The rabbits that were introduced had no natural preditors there, and well rabbits breed like rabbits.

The news coverage was truley bazarre. The unfortunate and hapless rabbits had eaten every last lick of vegetation( cant remember where the coverage was centered) but the rabbits, in a fit of hunger; turned canabalistic.

It was a grusome image to see rabbits with ears bleeding hopping around pushing there noses up and down, as rabbits will do.

The only thing that comes close to this image is the movie of water ship down.

It is images like this, seared in the mind of kiwis that reinforces a fear of introducing foreign animals.

I have african sulcatta turtles that I would love to bring. They are over 80 pounds now, and can grow to nearly 200 lbs.(third largest in the world)

I understand your desire to bring your babies. But like pigs in hawaii, cane toads in australia, kudzu in georgia, and a whole host of other introduced foreign species; introductions can be like oil and water.

They just dont mix well.

Default rabbits

Are you out of your mind bringing rabbits to New Zealand??? :eek

Default rabbits

Why should someone be out of their mind for wanting to bring their pets with them?

Because it is unethical and utterly stupid to bring any mammal to New Zealand. The whole unique environment is being ruined by them. No offense, though, I really understand. And I feel the same way about people who bring their cats dogs etc to New Zealand. I just hope people, like you, will think twice before doing such a thing. It just isn't right. And very unfair for the birds who are driven to extinction.

Default rabbits

Perhaps we should stop people going to NZ - they really do harm the environment! I'll have to keep a close eye on my rabbits from now on - didn't realise they were such a danger towards birds.

All I wanted to know was whether rabbits could be taken - wish I hadn't been so utterly stupid to ask.

I have to admit I was gobsmacked by the reply too poacher - seen lots of posts on here with people asking best way to get their pets to NZ etc and no-one had the reply you did...

Whilst I fully understand the reasons for limiting the introduction of mammals to NZ, I fail to understand why pets should be such an issue. Most responsible pet owners would have their pets neutered. I feel the issue of cats and wild birds is a seperate issue, having had cats in the past I do understand others concerns re wild bird population .... tough one that... perhaps more appropriate on an ornithology forum

Perhaps the written word in the previous posts came out a little more "sternly" than was intended. Sometimes hard to get across your exact tone in text :?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast