Thread: Tax on a big parcel from uk to nz

Default Tax on a big parcel from uk to nz

After found out the bosch dryer i want is $2,129.00 (around £700)

My OH suggest about buy it in UK and ship over to NZ as it is only £2-300 in UK to buy new bosch .

We both wondering what about tax? are there any tax on new goods? how much is it? or are there any other way to avoid tax??
    Thanks!

Was just on another thread about taxes/duty so I have the webpage handy.

Customs says

"The following goods will not qualify for duty free entry, unless you can establish that the items have had personal use prior to their arrival in New Zealand:
    • goods shipped directly after purchase to avoid local taxes in the country of export"
    That's on this page.

So I would think you would owe NZ Customs unless you paid tax on it in the UK. Customs explains the 12.5% GST here.
    Last edited by jess; 16th March 2007 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Jess for your info....

Other question (sorry!), that my parents have been sent parcels few times full of clothes, books, etc (mostly brand new ). They posted it from my dad's company via parcel force(?) and arrived to my OH's workplace a week or two later. We never paid any custom charges for this...did we slip the net or how this boxes got away from custom charge? As we were thinking of sending dryer by this way too....

which dryer (model) is it that you are after in the uk / nz?

Default $50 GSTable Value

We never paid any custom charges for this...did we slip the net or how this boxes got away from custom charge? As we were thinking of sending dryer by this way too....
    Small packets and even boxes sent by post (not container shipping on a pallet) must have a declared value by the sender. New or 2nd hand items must have a declared value upon arrival into NZ. No GST or Duties apply as long as the value of the goods is below the $50 GST collectable threshold (+ shipping). That is if BOTH the value of the good + shipping cost is under $400 NZ, there will be no duty or GST assessed. However, if the goods sent to NZ were for 'business' purposes (company goods from company address in NZ and description shows it's of business nature, then GST MAY be assessed).

You'll find importing your own dryer from the UK would give you little savings ; actually in most cases it will cost you more.

Not only you'll have to pay the 12.5% GST, but also you'll have to pay customs and broker charges, wharf fees, EDI, MAF, and probably 5 more other charges as importing just even 1 dryer goes through the same hassles as importing a container full of commercial goods. I would assume shipping being the biggest cost. A dryer is too large and heavy to send through conventional post office means. Many freight shipping companies charge by the per cu' meter. where the 1st cubic meter being the minimum charge.

BQ

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa
    Other question (sorry!), that my parents have been sent parcels few times full of clothes, books, etc (mostly brand new ). They posted it from my dad's company via parcel force(?) and arrived to my OH's workplace a week or two later. We never paid any custom charges for this...did we slip the net or how this boxes got away from custom charge?
    Yes, I didn't think to mention that because your dryer will be over the $50 GST threshhold, but it is confusing if you have gotten small packages of new and unused items with no duty owed. Super_BQ has explained it exactly as I understand it.

Well it was 1metre by 1metre by 1metre size of boxes contain four boxes inside full of stuffs over $400 no problems........So we did slip the net oops. It was send from dad's business to gary's workplace, so from 'business to business' may help!

For trigirl....bosch dryer WTE86300AU for NZ's but haven't got number for UK's yet....do you know where i can get it cheaper in NZ?