Thread: Schools Kapiti

Default Schools Kapiti

We hope to be in Kapiti by September. Intially in rented but hoping to buy something quite quickly.Company will pay for months accomodation and we're going to ask relocation company to find us something we can rent on a monthly basis. Our children will finish school year here - daughter 12 son 6. My son in particular doesn't like change so i want to avoid putting him in a school for a short while and then moving him again. Am i allowed to home-school until the start of the new school year in February ? I am a qualified primary school teacher. Also how does it work if you want a place in the final term ? Any reccomendations of great schools in Kapiti area please. Lots of questions -sorry. I was hoping to visit some schools on our visit this Easter unforunately we arrive just after schools break-up.

My wife is doing the primary school tour next week. Raumati Beach school has a very good reputation but has just started a catchment area, and Paraparaumu Beach and Raumati South are also supposedly good. My boy goes to Raumati South kindy which is excellent. Waikanae schools (esp. Kapanui) also have a good rep. To be honest they all seem pretty good - the only one we have had a feel for not being so great is Kapiti School (Pram) but we don't have any hard and fast evidence of this. Will probably know more next week.
    Senior schools (colleges) - heard good things about Paraparaumu College and not so good about Kapiti college (raumati) but again that's just what other parents have mentioned to us based on past experiences

we're going to ask relocation company to find us something we can rent on a monthly basis.
    this doesn't really exist in NZ i dont think. fixed term tenancies start at 6 moths generally. but what you need is called "periodic tenancy". it allows you to give your landlord 3 weeks notice while your landlord has to give you 3 months notice. thats what we had on our rental when we first arrived. if your relocation co says they don't exist what they actually mean is the agencies they deal with don't do them - look for a private tenancy.

Hi Clodestar,

Just had coffee with a work colleague who has kids at Pram schools. Her youngest is at Paraparaumu Beach school (has a very good head-master she tells me) and her eldest at Pram college. Both of which she would highly recommend.

Thought it may be of interest though that entry into schools in the area is very much dictated by whether you live within the catchment area for that school. Other criteria being whether there are siblings already enrolled. Seemingly it's quite hard to get into a school if you are living outside the area unless the other criteria apply. Might be worth thinking about when you are looking for a rental etc.

Hope this helps a bit
    Karen

Hi Clodestar,

Can definitely appreciate your concerns re: changing and moving schools .. it's not an easy thing to try and plan in advance especially as k-k has already said, there can be different catchment areas to consider. I just wanted to say that for my girls, their new life in NZ didn't begin until they started school so for us it was a case of 'the sooner the better'. Being involved in everyday school life is also a great distraction from anything they might be missing from home and (touch wood) we haven't really had an "I want to go home" yet .. I think if school was not in the picture things would have been different. By the way, we arrived here in November and my 11 year old had just 6 weeks of Year 6 primary before leaving and heading off to College.

Anyway, to answer one of your questions - getting a place mid-term is fine, just ring the school. If you live within the school zone (if it is zoned) then a place at the school is automatic, regardless of how many children they already have they are obliged to give you a place. It is different with catholic schools (and possibly some others?) .. they have a maximum amount of chidren they will take and no 'zone' - when they're full they're full!

Can't answer the home-school question but I'm sure someone will know.

Best of luck,
    Dawn

Just to add my 10 cents worth, my 3 kids all started off at Raumati Beach Primary in 2005.Beth had 6 weeks in Year 7 and then the whole of Year 8. She is now in Year 9 at Kapiti College. Meggie had 6 weeks in Year 4 and is now in Year 6 and Robert had 6 weeks in Year 1 and is now in Year 3.
    So they all started school in the middle of Term 4 and I have thankfully had no problems whatsoever.New kids are starting at school almost daily from all over the world, UK , Germany, Russia, Hungary etc etc so is really not a big deal.My middle daughter was very quiet and shy initally , however she has thrived at Raumati.
    I work as a Teachers Aide at the school and am constantly impressed with the commitment of everyone , teachers , parents, office staff etc etc.
    Be warned the expectations of parent help is much higher than in the UK so come prepared to attend a few school camps before too long!
    The relationship between parents and the school is far more relaxed than in the UK, parents often wander in to school (remember no locked gates!) whether to watch an assembly , help out with sports, do a bit of gardening,or even join their kids for lunch in the playground! Some parents even join us for coffees in the staff room!
    Anyway , back to the original question , my daughter has been at Kapiti College fro almost 1 term and we are very impressed so far.On the open evening many of the teachers gave us their home phone and cell phone numbers so we can contact them if there ever is a problem.Everyone was so accessible and had the time to chat.It was a far cry from our experiences of a High School in the UK!
    Lastly just watch catchments areas as Raumati Beach is in the process of iniating one due to the ever increasing roll.
    Very best of luck and please contact me if you have any other questions.
    Regards

Denise