Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emigrating Departure Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    Family Benefits Agency
    Schools
    Colleges
    Any membership organisations(Sports Clubs, etc)
    Libraries
    Any magazines that you subscribe to.
    Milkman
    Friends and Family
    Credit card Companies

I am sure there are many more but these are just a shortlist to help,
    More to follow,
    Child Tax Credit....to be done within 7 days before you departure, not earlier than 7 days, I rang a month early, they won't accept till within 7 days

Default For information on reciprocal agreements

Have a look at form SA8 from her majesty for National Insurance information:
    http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene.../sa8-oct05.pdf

Another great post from Caroline and Dave.

Good luck with the PR, hope it arrives soon.

Thanks for taking the time to list all this!

I thought you had to start even earlier with the pet immunizations, something like 6 months? Or maybe that is just for non-UK countries, hm...

So we're getting some things together in case I get into Massey this year. There's a lot I cannot do yet, as I am not actually accepted. I won't find that out until the beginning of March, (and then I'll have to get everything ready to go to be in NZ on July 6).

We've sent away for my OH's passport (I already have one)
    We've sent away for our FBI reports (this was recommended by Massey as it takes so long)
    We've microchipped the cat, got his rabies shot (and his titre and some other vaccines are occurring this saturday)
    I'll schedule our medicals for late February.
    I've researched where I can get loans from to fund my education at Massey.
    We've looked around the house and made lists of what we will take on the plane, ship, sell, give away, and trash.

Is there anything else someone could recommend that needs to be done at this point?

Thanks!

If doing your own packing of household goods you could start that now, for things you can comfortably live without during the rest of your time in the U.S. Lots of good material here on old posts re: MAF prohibitions, for example, no pine cones in the holiday decorations, and keeping a master inventory of what's packed.

I know of one forumite who sorted and packed over an 8-month period before she left. Says it made her last weeks at home so much easier, esp. as she had free time to shop and fill up the empty space in her container

we're actually getting rid of most of our belongings, only a few select things are coming (as most isn't high quality). We've set aside two rooms- one for stuff that is being given to family/coming, and one that is for stuff to sell.

We actually already sold most of our books that aren't coming as well as all of our VHS tapes.

Could we buy those plastic containers you see and put our stuff in those instead of cardboard boxes for what we're shipping via sea? They seem like they would be more secure and sustain less damage.

I know I've seen posts by people who used plastic tubs w/lids (like Rubbermaid or Sterilite) for some of the packing. Not sure how well the tubs held up, but maybe those with knowledge will chime in . . .

I think I remember reading on a thread somewhere (please don't ask me where ) that plastic tended not to be so good for packing with the changing temperatures and condensation etc in containers - just a thought..
    Karenx

Is there an option other than plastic that would be better than cardboard?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast