Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Sim cards

Default NZ Sim cards

Hi all,
    I know this question has come up before but i can't seem to find the answers i want on a search.
    I wish to purchase a Pay as You Go sim card for my mobile preferably before arriving in NZ.
    anyone know the best, cheapest way? Vodafone NZ do a pay plan called Motormouth which seems inexpesive although i think they may only sell it to existing customers.
    Or is it really easy to buy a sim card upon arrival (hopefully have it working within minutes too)?

John

providing your phone is not 'locked' you can just buy a simcard over the counter and hey presto you are in business. the normal one is the straight forward prepaid type. these cost about $30/35 and you get a free $5 call voucher with it.

You need to contact your supplier before you leave and get details of your unlock code.

I was with Vodafone and got my unlock code before I left the UK and then paid for a new Vodafone sim card in NZ, inserted the unlock code and put the new sim card in, but it wouldn't work, even though the phone was now unrestricted. After several expensive calls to Vodafone in the UK they said there must be something wrong with my phone and I should return it to them So I am now mobile phoneless until I want to fork out for a new one. I'm not going through the hassle of sending it back to the UK.
    Dave's worked fine first time, no problems and it's the same model Nokia as mine.

Sandra

Hi,

Yes I'm doing the same as Dave & Sandra - Vodafone UK unlocked my phone for me for £20- & when we went to Vodafone shop in Wellington they said we could get a pay-as-you-go sim card over the counter for about $35.

Sandra that's annoying what has happened to you - I hope that the same doesn't happen when we arrive :hopeso

Dunno about Orange (Linda & I are P-a-y-G) our phones are due for renewal as they are over 2 years old and we're gonna splash out on new ones.

Hope you can get pay as you go in NZ not bothered about the supplier although Vodaphone are the biggest in uk & NZ.

Can't remember the link but someone posted a thread on the old forum giving a site that gave unlock codes for different mobiles, I'll try to find it and post.

Mark. :P

OK, it was on the new forum!! Here it is:

http://www.trycktill.com/eng/unlock_swe.asp

NOTE: I haven't tried this as my mobile is not locked so cannot verify that it will work for your phone!!!

Mark. :P

I know the unlocking can be done as our kids do ours!.
    One thing to keep an eye out for though.....we went into one mobile phone shop and they tested our 2nd phone to see if it would work with the sim card, they did it in front of us with a test card. It didn't work so they suggested we would have to buy a new phone. This surprised us as the kids are good at the technology stuff. Once outside the shop we moved the sim card from my phone which was already working to Petes and lo and behold it worked!!!!!! So we just went into another shop and bought the sim card package there, no problems.

any back street mobile shop or market traders selling phones can unlock a phone.

dan

Thanks all,
    I think the phone maybe OK as it was a company Vodafone. When i left i just popped in a Virgin Sim and it worked.
    I have the link and will save in my faves if it goes wrong.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast