Thread: Acting in Wellington

Smile Acting in Wellington

Hi there,

My husband and I are intending to move to Wellington and he is coming out to have a look around in a couple of weeks. My husband is an actor/voice over artist and we wondered if anyone new where you can get a list of good agents etc. that he could contact?
    Any advice on this would be great....

Thanks.

i did a quick google search ( http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...g+agents&meta= ) but im not sure which info would be relevant for you! and heres a yellowpages search which looks a lot better ( http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/Pages/S..._l0_m0,00.html )

one thing that i thought of would be having a look through www.bigidea.co.nz which is an online arts community that i belong to. you could also try contacting this school which is the top drama school in nz (biased, moi? really, it is.. )(www.toiwhakaari.co.nz) or www.wpac.org.nz as they both invite agents and industry heads to inschool productions and they may be able to point you in the direction of welly based agents.
    seems that a some agencies have bases in welly and auckland which could be a plus for getting work.

wellington is a VERY creative city and there is always something going on so im sure your husband will be spoilt for choice.

theatres off the top of my head ... www.downstage.com,www.bats.co.nz and www.circa.co.nz

i hope my ramblings were of some help!

Thanks so much for the advice! I have printed it off and will check it all out this evening....

Quote Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post
    one thing that i thought of would be having a look through www.bigidea.co.nz
    I'll second this! Not only does it list arts events throughout NZ, but you can post your resume and check on stage and film job listings. Great resource. You might also check theatreview.org.nz which lists NZ theatre news and auditions. Talentonline.co.nz sometimes lists voice over work opportunities (although they list for Oz as well as NZ, so not all listings will apply).

There is plenty of creative work, and creative activity, in Wellington. But the supply of v/o talent here already greatly exceeds the demand. Practically all a/v production happens in Auckland, so that's where the v/o gigs are. Same for related technical work (my ProTools skills are highly compensated in Auckland but an expensive-to-maintain hobby in Wellington).

Not trying to be hostile - I wish you both the best - but IMO this is a key thing to know upfront.

Thanks so much - my husband does loads of v/o work here in the UK so hopefully experience will count. Mainly interested in the acting side of things. He also works as a casting director and teaches workshops as well so if can't get v.o work then hopefully can use that as a back up to the acting.