Thread: School Camp

Default School Camp

Having been on my son's intermediate school camp last week, I thought I'd post a bit about it, as I know parents were not invited to any school camp at our schools in Cardiff so I had no idea what to expect. Please ignore me if you have been on one in UK and already have a feel fro it and what it involves.

We went by ferry to Motutapu Island and had to walk 6K with back packs to the camp itself. It's a former army post, built for the 2nd World War and military style barracks and communal living is the order of the camp.
    We took approx. 180 children (6 classes) with each class divided into 4 groups. Each group had a "Group Parent" (I was one, with my son in my group) who was repsonible for them whilst there, including sun screen, wearing a hat, drinking adequate amounts of water and refilling bottles, getting them all to activities, meals, bed and duties on time and all together. The temperature was about 4 degrees hotter than Auckland city, so high 20s to 30 and the burn time is half that of the city, hence the constant need for sun protection and fluids.

We arrived Tuesday morning, ate a packed lunch and launched into activities. All groups did everything, so in no particular order: sea kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, orienteering, hut building, problem solving, survivor challenge course, climbing wall, high ropes, sketching, rocky shore exploration and beach activities. Hmm, action packed, or what!
    Day started at 6.45 or 7 for the kids with a run along the beachside trail, although one morning we had "jump jam" (aerobics) in the gym cos it was rainy at the time. Breakfast was 7.30 or 8, depending on how full the day was, with lunch at approx 1pm and dinner 6 or 6.30. After meals, groups took rostered turns at duties, including cleaning the kitchens, dining hall, toilets and showers. Group parents supervised duties.
    There were lots of Activity Parents too, mainly helping with sailing, kayaking, snorkelling and climbing. The snorkelling and kayaking ratios were 1 adult to 2 kids!! The Activity Parents also served breakfast and evening meals.
    After dinner, the kids did diary writing and games. 9.30 was supper (Milo and a biscuit) but those kids who were tired could go straight to bed. The rest had to be in bed by 10 for lights out at 10.05. All the power went off then (except the fridges and freezers in the kitchen) so it was definitely quiet and sleep!

Us parents were bunked in The Lodge, although some were rostered into the dorms. I opted out of that, but took the early run instead.

Facilities were basic but sufficient and we had plenty to eat. There was a no alcohol policy for parents this year (dunno if they just saw us coming, or if that was based on previous experiences...) so we had low key chill time aftre the kids had gone to bed.

All in all, it was an awesome experience! I'm looking forward to going with Franca next year....

Gil

souinds like an incredible experience, shame about the no alcohol, but i suppose you are supervising children.

A friend of my went on a school trip last week with overnight stay at kelly tarltens, sleeping under the tubes. Talk about sleeping with the fishes, sounds like a great time although I don't suppose there was much sleeping going on.

That sounds just like my intermediate school camp circa 1980 - nice to know some things don't change.

Is it just me (who loves my bed and hates getting up in a morning!!) But they sem really long days - especially for the kids!

And Gil - How dare you put a post like this on ...................................

without any piccies!!!!

You're so right Marcia, they were VERY long days for the kids (and the parents!!)

Sorry guys, I forgot the camera here's a link to where we went:
    http://images.google.com/images?svnu...=Search+Images

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    You're so right Marcia, they were VERY long days for the kids

It's often done deliberately - to wear them out so there is no acting up in the middle of the night.

What a fantastic school trip, the kids would love to do something like that when they're older