Thread: Bringing XBox from US

Default Bringing XBox from US

Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere....I did a search and did not come up with an on-point post.

Has anyone brought to NZ an XBox purchased in the US? If so, please let us know how yours is working out. We have packed ours up and sent it off with the shippers (along with several newly-purchased games) and now we are concerned that it won't work! We are concerned about the Hz issue and the NTSC/PAL issue. We are not really concerned with the regional encoding issue for games or DVDs, we know about that. If the NTSC/PAL thing is an issue, would it be solved by bringing a US TV? Please help!!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

We have a UK X-Box & we know it won't work in NZ on the NZ games - we'll have to buy them through Amazon.co.uk or play.com on UK standards (we're shipping 2 UK TV's so we'll still be able to use the games we've got), so I'd assume its the same in US - someone correct me if I'm wrong... :?

Sarah - your UK XBox will work in New Zealand with both NZ and UK games. It's a question of them being PAL, whereas those from the USA (and I believe Japan) are NTSC. If you have a PAL XBox, you cannot play NTSC games and vice-versa. I have a UK XBox and it plays games from UK, Australia & New Zealand quite happily.

Melissa - sorry can't validly comment on the US issue, although as long as the TV you use can accept both PAL and NTSC signals, I do not see a problem with you playing your existing NTSC games on your NTSC (US) XBox. The problem you will have is that you will not be able to play NZ (i.e. PAL) games on your XBox.

Hope this helps.

Haydee

Thanks all, I appreciate it. Does anyone know if there are TV's available in NZ that are both PAL/NTSC compatible?

Hi Mellisa,

I don't know if dual system TV's are avaible in NZ but you can get them in the states. There are a lot on line do a search for multisystem tv.

CHris

Haydee good news indeed - or is it? (that means I won't see Ian for a while once the X-box arrives in NZ!)

Default Televisions

Hi (again) Melissa :cool

Yes, there are PAL/NTSC compatible televisions for sale in NZ. Another option is to buy a PAL/NTSC compatible VCR. We bought one so we could watch our old VHS tapes here...works fine.