Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NZ to UK shipping costs

Default NZ to UK shipping costs

We've had four companies round to give us quotes for shipping our belongings back to the UK so thought I'd post the prices in case others make the leap back.

We came out with a full container and have sold alot (and de-cluttered). Everything we have sold from Ikea we have managed to sell at a profit so items such as the childrens bedroom furniture we can replace immediately and get them settled before the rest arrives.

We are taking roughly half a container back (16 cubic metres). We are self packing everything but have asked them to wrap furniture.

Allied Pickfords - $6649 (although this is only 14 cubic metres...)
    Allied movers - $5925
    Grace removals - $8890 And we had to call them 5 times to get them to come round!!
    Conroys - $5800

We were torn between Allied Movers and Conroy's but have seen some dodgy reports on Allied Movers and lots of people have recommended Conroy's so we've decided to use them. I know two other ENZ members who are going home this month and they are also using Conroy's. We kept in touch whilst getting quotes and found it helped enormously talking it over with people in the same position. Both them, and me and hubby just got a good feeling about Conroy's so we'll post and let you know what they're like when our stuff arrives.

If anybody does move and intends to buy any items of NZ furniture etc bear in mind that the removal company can collect them from the shop and GST is taken off. We've bought a couple of items at a lovely shop in Petone which uses recycled wood and got GST knocked off the already very good price!!

Hope this is useful to someone.

Louise

Thanks spudulike. It sure is very helpful even for North Americans as it gives some numbers to think about. It is better to plan everything before you plan to immigrate. You just never know. Good luck with your plans. Regards,

Cool

Hi Spud,
    Like you we are heading back most likely next month, I will be having a full 20 ft container and I will be packing and loading the container myself.
    In the UK I have asked for full customs clearance and delivery to UK address where I will unload the container... the cheapest quote I have had is from Price's at $5550.
    Thankfully we have had two fairly small rentals during our time here and have never actually unpacked all our stuff so we don't have much to do top prepare for the move back

Hope all goes well with your move...dont forget the returnees meet sometime in the near future..LOL

Thanks for the good wishes - and definitely would love a meet up. Perhaps over a decent sunday lunch and pint of real beer (for hubby - can't stand it myself!!)

Just as an afterthought for those doing self pack with a full container - try mainfreight as it is cheaper to ship a full container with them, than half a container!! Worth a check anyway.

L

Cool

Mmmmm......Pub Sunday lunch..

Are you still heading for Exeter? We are going to Buckinghamshire but my daughter is in Exeter...So no doubt we will be making frequent visits to that part of the world. Try Broadclyst (Red Lion Inn) nice pub there right by the church and good grub. Another we used to go to quite often was The Talaton Inn in a little village called Talaton, you might need to book that one as it gets busy on a sunday and one more (sorry about this) is the Hare & hounds just outside Honiton at Sidbury on the road to Sidmouth...fantastic Sunday carvery...see link

http://www.hareandhounds-devon.co.uk/

Thanks for the tip about Mainfreight just sent an e-mail to see if they can beat my cheapest quote

Hi Colin,

Yes we're still heading to Exeter so perhaps we'll get to meet up at some point when you're down that way. Please don't ever apologise for recommending good pubs - the more the merrier I'll write those down and put them on my list of cultural things to do when I get back

Louise

Just wanted to let you know that I used Conroys to move back in September 06 and they were absolutely BRILL!!!

Heartily recommended.

Good luck with the move - I'm loving being back home x

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidollie View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that I used Conroys to move back in September 06 and they were absolutely BRILL!!!

Heartily recommended.

Good luck with the move - I'm loving being back home x

Hey we used Conroys too, Ian self packed and they loaded, very good. VAnlines slashed my leather settee unpacking in NZ.

Alison I too love being home and wouldn't change a thing except maybe a lottery win would top it off!!

Oh BTW everyone I am with child no. 3 now due in Oct 2007 (was going to be the kiwi baby but I couldn't do it without my family).

Quote Originally Posted by jo b View Post
    Hey we used Conroys too, Ian self packed and they loaded, very good. VAnlines slashed my leather settee unpacking in NZ.

Alison I too love being home and wouldn't change a thing except maybe a lottery win would top it off!!

Oh BTW everyone I am with child no. 3 now due in Oct 2007 (was going to be the kiwi baby but I couldn't do it without my family).
    That should say have a baby without my family around me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jo b View Post
    That should say have a baby without my family around me!!!

Hey you.........CONGRATULATIONS............

Good to hear from you.

Julie

xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast