Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by aggelon View Post
    The big difference is the cocoa content, NZ chocolate is closer to European chocolate on that score. So if you like Belgian, German or Swiss chocolate you will like NZ chocolate. But if you are content with the lower cocoa content of UK chocolate (or Vegelate as the EU wanted to rename it as the cocoa level was too low to qualify as true chocolate in Europe) you will probably find the taste a challenge
    That makes sense, because even after 10 years in the UK I still prefer Swiss choclate to British and always try to have some form of Lindt in the house for "emergencies".

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    I'm currently addicted to Moro Golds...
    nice aint they??? That and Milo bars are pretty good ...

Quote Originally Posted by aggelon View Post
    The big difference is the cocoa content, NZ chocolate is closer to European chocolate on that score. So if you like Belgian, German or Swiss chocolate you will like NZ chocolate. But if you are content with the lower cocoa content of UK chocolate (or Vegelate as the EU wanted to rename it as the cocoa level was too low to qualify as true chocolate in Europe) you will probably find the taste a challenge
    Are you sure about that? I remember reading an interview with a Cadburys rep in Dunedin and he said that, compared to the UK version, the NZ Cadburys contained significantly more fat, more sugar and less cocoa solids - resulting in that (to my taste) overly sweet, sticky and not-very-chocolate flavour that reminds me of cooking chocolate. But then my preferred choc treat is Lindt 75% cocoa - hard core!! I think most good European chocolate producers would freak if you told them their products were remotely like NZ cadburys! But I could be wrong.

The sweet tastes of the NZ consumer spills over into lots of things - salad dressings, ham and bacon, mayo and tom sauce - I find all these too sweet. Even a lot of the biscuits and crumbles etc lack a salty, savoury edge to offset the sweetness.

Between Belgian,German and Swiss chocolate is a big different.
    I still love the Swiss made chololate which is more creamy and smooth. yamm.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456