Thread: Advice on getting PR for elderly parents??

Default Advice on getting PR for elderly parents??

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for a long time - we are very well settled and happy here in Gisborne. However, could do with any advice from anyone who has applied for PR for their parents to join them. My parents are nearing their 80's but are keen to come and be near us which is wonderful. We know the process involved - they can put their application in next February when we have been here for three years; I have spoken to NZIS in London who told me that there is a six month processing time for family sponsored applications at the moment. My parents are in reasonable health but my mum does have Parkinsons - my GP here feels that this shouldn't be a reason for her to fail the medical as it's not likely to require hospitalisation etc. Does anyone have experience of moving their elderly parents here and have any words of wisdom for me?? Of course we realise that at their age anything could go wrong but it seems sensible to start the ball rolling and have something positive to look forward to.

Helga

Hi Helga

My mum has just received PR under the family category and it only took 3 months through the London office. However, she did not have any medical issues and it sounds to me as if this may be the point of issue for your parents. There's no way to second guess how immigration will view Parkinson's but if your NZ GP has a view that it's not a condition that would be a drain on the NZ health system then that sounds reassuring!

I wish you lots of luck - it makes such a difference to life here when you've got some family with you!

Sue

Hi Sue - what fab news that your mum is coming to join you! My parents are desperate to move over, and we were told it would take around 9 months from their application to being accepted . They are coming up to 60 yrs old. I have one brother in the UK.

We will have been here 3 yrs next March and can go for citizenship from this September - so we're on a similar timeline to you Helga!!

I don't mean to be rude and nosey and PM me if you like, but did your mum have any health probs at all? Father has heart probs in the past (10 yrs ago and all clear now except on drugs) and that's my only worry.....

Cheers
    Moorf
    Last edited by Moorf; 7th April 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks for that reply Sue - it's really encouraging to hear that it can be quicker than we were told. That was my hope but you never know. I have been reading about medical waivers and wondering if that might be an option if queries are raised when my mum has the medical which they could well be. My understanding is that the assessing doctor basically has to judge how physically well someone is for their age so, for example, as my mum is 81 she is in fact quite well for someone of that age...!!! I'm really pleased for you that your mum is able to be with you - it really must make all the difference.

Fingers crossed for you too, Moorf. I know that it's possible to get consultant's reports in support of applications etc so that could be an option?

Best of luck with it. We absolutely love living in New Zealand and the only bad point has been the worry of my parents being so far away and missing them so much - as we are really committed to staying here it makes sense for them to try to join us so that we can give them some support when they need it. My dad has just been over for a two week visit and was so positive about everything he found here - it was great to see that he could appreciate all the things that we appreciate about this place too!

Helga