Thread: Open University Degrees? Anyone?

Default Open University Degrees? Anyone?

Hi everyone

I am considering re-training in a different area (and possibly going on to do a PGCE and become a Maths Teacher). It's something I have been considering for a while now but since I already have a qualification in an area of Business & Economics I've never really had the courage to break away and follow my dream and leave my comfort zone . . . but while I'm home with my toddler I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to use the time wisely and re-study.

Thing is, as I'm a stay-at-home mum I wouldn't want to put my child in care during the day to attend classes and was considering doing an Open University Course. This seems like an ideal option as I could study from home and then only occassionaly have to go in for tutorials but with us desparately wanting to immigrate to New Zealand in the next 2 to 3 years I was wondering what NZQA feel about Open University degrees and qualifications (and their Flexible PGCE if anyone has gone through this route).

I know how sticky they can be with certainly qualifications and I didn't want to go down this route if it wasn't going to be recognised in NZ? Any advice you can give me would be grately appreciated.

Thanks
    Kerry

The Open University is on the list of acceptable Universities for recognised qualifications.

I am half-way through studying for a degree with the OU and can highly recommend it as a way of studying. Very flexible but fantastic study materials and a very good support network with tutors etc.

Thanks for that - If it's on the list it must be ok then! That is good news

Would thoroughly recommend OU - I did a degree in 5 years (part-time for 4 years & full-time 1 year) with them, which was recognised in NZ by employers - although it wasn't used for our PR application since I was still studying for it at the time.

Good luck & enjoy!!

I think it might be a good idea to check whether the OU's flexible PGCE is acceptable to NZQA / NZ Teaching Council in advance. There have been posters re. NZ and Oz who have acheived their QTS in the UK through the teaching rather than studying route - and the former has not been recognised in NZ / OZ as a valid teaching qualification. Also, I don't think the OU flexible PGCE is accepted by the GTC in Scotland becuase it's not considered to be academically rigorous enough... this is all heresay / word of mouth / teacher gossip (the OH is a teacher), just something you might want to check out so you don't get any nasty surprises !

hi kerry,

yes the OU degrees are recognised as the same as any other degree. i'd started mine (in maths) and done 2 years before coming over here. remember you will need to do it all in the uk or pay international fees to complete it (ouch) from NZ. a maths degree part time will take about 5-6 years depending on what your economics qual is.

i dont know anything about the flexible PGCE but would again assume it is the same as any other PGCE. however, i'd recommend you talk to the NZ teachers council before embarking on a route that may or may not be worthwhile.