Thread: NZ police force

Default NZ police force

Hi

Does anyone have any information on becoming a police officer in NZ?
    Is there an age/height limit? Would you need specific qualifications? Do they let immigrants join up? Hubby is really keen....

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum - drop leachio a PM as her family arrived in NZ a couple of weeks ago and her hubby is a British cop joining NZ police.

In the meanwhile, have a search through some of her old posts too to get an idea of what they did and how it all happened.

Yes have a word with Leachio(Amanda) as Dan, Amanda's OH is off to Welly tomorrow to start his training. Am sure they'll put you right.

Kim

Default NZ Police

Leachio are in a different boat to someone hoping to become an officer for the first time. Leachio was a serving officer in the UK . My wife and I are also moving to Aucklland Police on a transfer basis.
    If you want to go in from scratch, I believe your best bet is to be there already and apply. I dont think there is an age limit (I am ex job and was thinking of joining again.) I am 44yrs old. I am lead to believe as long as you can in the first place pass the fitness test (for me it was 1.5miles in less than 13 mins you can then think about joining, subject to all the interviews and training college. I dont think the starting wage is great. Best bet is contact NZ recruitment and if hubby is a bit of a lardy, start getting him to run to the pub.
    Cheers
    Kieran.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Leachio are in a different boat to someone hoping to become an officer for the first time. Leachio was a serving officer in the UK . My wife and I are also moving to Aucklland Police on a transfer basis.
    If you want to go in from scratch, I believe your best bet is to be there already and apply. I dont think there is an age limit (I am ex job and was thinking of joining again.) I am 44yrs old. I am lead to believe as long as you can in the first place pass the fitness test (for me it was 1.5miles in less than 13 mins you can then think about joining, subject to all the interviews and training college. I dont think the starting wage is great. Best bet is contact NZ recruitment and if hubby is a bit of a lardy, start getting him to run to the pub.
    Cheers
    Kieran.
    ahhhh my mistake, I didn't realise scatty was talking about a non cop becoming a cop in NZ.

There is no maximum age restriction and I've known male cops who were about 5'5'' so I doubt that would be an issue these days either.

This page should answer many other questions Scatty http://www.police.govt.nz/recruiting/faq.html#1

For anyone interested in NZ police there is a forum which OH is glued to!

www.police-forum.com it also covers Australia and Canada, u may have to register to read the posts Im not sure but there's no commitment if u do.

Good luck

Wow! Thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Best bet is contact NZ recruitment and if hubby is a bit of a lardy, start getting him to run to the pub.
    Cheers
    Kieran.

Your posts really do make me smile.........I think you and I must have a similar sense of humour.

Keep up the good work......

Julie

xx

Police is one of my options, I fancy being a cycle cop is some far flung quiet little town but knowing my luck i will end up in the centre of auckland on the beat. What is putting me off is the wellington based training. I can;t imagine the OH being please at arriving in a strange country and me going away for 14 weeks training.
    As for the 1.5 miles in 13 minutes, can I use a car?
    The furthest I can run is across Piccadilly station in Manchester at 3:30 when I am about to miss my train home

Quote Originally Posted by leachio View Post
    For anyone interested in NZ police there is a forum which OH is glued to!

www.police-forum.com it also covers Australia and Canada, u may have to register to read the posts Im not sure but there's no commitment if u do.

Good luck

Leachio

Just read the post. Followed your link...big thanks to you!

I am interested in transfering at a later date, and the police forum is like this one.....full of really good gen!

Thanks again....

Liam