Thread: ACCA Anyone

Default ACCA Anyone

Hi everyone

Has anyone had their ACCA assessed by NZQA? Just curious to know what the outcome was. Does it equate to being a fully qualifed accountant in New Zealand?

I'm part qualified and wondering if that counts for anything or if I need to be the full ACCA before they'll assess it. And also, wondered if it was worth the trouble of actually completing it here in the UK before leaving for NZ or rather waiting til in New Zealand and then doing their equivalent exams?

Any advice would be great, thanks

K

Quote Originally Posted by Tentun View Post
    Hi everyone

Has anyone had their ACCA assessed by NZQA? Just curious to know what the outcome was. Does it equate to being a fully qualifed accountant in New Zealand?

I'm part qualified and wondering if that counts for anything or if I need to be the full ACCA before they'll assess it. And also, wondered if it was worth the trouble of actually completing it here in the UK before leaving for NZ or rather waiting til in New Zealand and then doing their equivalent exams?

Any advice would be great, thanks

K

Hi K

Haven't actually had it done but looked into it previously when we first looked at NZ a couple of years ago

The ACCA qualification (fully qualified) should get you at least 50 points I believe and I remember reading that you would need to have it assessed by NZQA as it isn't a recognised qualification unlike the ACA one (rather annoyingly!)
    This doesn't mean you would be recognised as a qualified accountant in NZ however as there seems to be only ICANZ present in NZ unlike the several associations in the UK. Depends on whether you would want to work in practice or industry I guess.

If you plan to go into practice and don't need the additional points to get in I wouldn't necessarily finish the exams here as they won't necessarily count for anything in NZ - you would be better off starting lower in NZ and getting your ICANZ exams.
    However if you need the points or work in industry you may be better off finishing your studies here and entering NZ as a qualified accountant

Would be relevant as to whether you have a degree or not as the part qualified ACCA would not get you any extra points over your degree (but the full ACCA qualification may do)

Others may be able to provide more real world info as there are several accountants in NZ on this forum who may join in once they see the thread

Also search the old posts for ACCA and accountants as there is some useful info on there

Best of luck
    Last edited by Paul; 11th April 2007 at 03:26 AM.

To become a full (CA) member of the NZICA you would need to either
    1) complete your ACCA, then study around 5-10 papers from a NZ Tertiary provider, (Uni, polytech etc).
    Your tertiary degree needs to include 5 non-business courses and you would need to study relevant papers in law, tax, economics and maths.

OR
    2) Complete an approved 4 year degree in NZ (or equivalent).
    Have 1 years general accounting experience either in NZ or possibly overseas.

Both options then require you to have 2 years of mentored experience (with an approved mentor and approved employer). During the 2 years mentored experience you will complete the NZICA professional accounting training programme (PCE1, PAS & PCEII).

Depending on the type of work you aim to do in NZ, you may decide that the ACA college is more suitable for you. This college is different to the UK ACA college.

More information on all the above is on the NZICA website (nzica.com).

Shawn

Thanks, that's really informative, appreciate it.

I already have a bachelors degree in Accountancy, Economics and Commerical Law so really I'm just looking to upgrade that to a full CA because as it stands I'm only considered a part-qualifed ACCA. Guess completing it in NZ is the best way forward because otherwise I'll probably just have issues with converting to NZ qualifications.

Thanks for the help

I'm a fully qualified ACCA with 3 years post-qual experience in audit but my degree was unrelated to accountancy (was in agriculture)... I don't know where I stand with getting that recognised and would be a little put off if I have to do further exams to get it recognised as ACCA claims to be a global qualification and the ACCA exams are sat in NZ...