Thread: Homemade lemon drink

Default Homemade lemon drink

Whilst we were in akaroa's bach, they had orange, lemon, peach, pear and odd fruit??(half grapefruit/half orange) and grapefruit trees in garden.
    My parents and my sister managed to nearly stripped trees bared and brought home pears, lots of lemon, etc
    Now all eaten apart from a huge bowl full of lemon ...how I can make lemon drink please?

I don't have an actual recipe, we just squeeze the lemons and then add sugar and water until it tastes right. You could make a sugar syrup and add that to the lemon juice instead of straight sugar.

thanks

Just done one, still need to trial and error with water and sugar to get it right!

When I was at school we learnt the following recipe:

4 lemons
    4 oz caster sugar (about 100 grammes)
    Half pint water

Peel the zest off the lemons, making sure you only get the yellow part and as little of the white pith as possible

Squeeze the juice out of the lemons afterwards

Add the zest to half a pint of boiling water, and stir in the sugar - stir the mixture well so all the sugar dissolves and the liquid turns yellow from the zest.

Leave this mixture to cool, then strain it and add the juice from the lemons (if you add the juice while the mixture is hot it denatures the vitamin c, so best leave it til the liquid is cool).

If you prefer it sweeter or sourer then just change the amount of sugar. I really liked this amount of sugar when I was a kid, but might add less now.

Jo Jo it must have been on the curriculum because I learnt that same recipe!!

LOL. I always liked it best before you added the lemon juice.

Isn't life full of strange coincidences? I was just about to log on and do a post about what to do with 10 lemons!

I get my shopping delivered and had ordered just 1, but they got confused and delivered 10! (they only charged me for 1)

Cheers

Tia

Tia, have a look on the recipe thread, I posted a lemon cake one.... that would use two of them! Either that or slice them up and freeze them, they then double as ice cubes and flavouring for your drinkies... goes best with gin or vodka, although with Tia Maria it may be a bit odd!

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Either that or slice them up and freeze them, they then double as ice cubes and flavouring for your drinkies... !

What a damn good idea....theres loads on our tree and I was running out of ideas !!

Thanks Sal.

Now, off to look for the Lemon Cake Recipe....

Julie

xx

Jub Jub wrote:

Tia, have a look on the recipe thread, I posted a lemon cake one.... that would use two of them! Either that or slice them up and freeze them, they then double as ice cubes and flavouring for your drinkies... goes best with gin or vodka, although with Tia Maria it may be a bit odd!
    Cake & alcohol - my kind of suggestions! Also off to search for the Lemon Cake recipe

Cheers

Tia