Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 dogs UK- NZ

Hi guys,

We're looking into transporting our "boys" (urm, the cats Bhuna and Biryani : ) to Wellie, and have been told we don't need pet passports, which should make the process a little quicker (apparently that process can take upto 6 months). They'll still need their various injections and bill of health, but as they're only two, they should be fit to travel hopefully.

We're not thinking about going till Aug 2005 so it leaves us plenty of time, but I was a little worried on how they'd cope with the long haul journey.

Thanks for the tips Veronica

Rich

Hi Moorf, yep if you have more than one dog you have to register and get checked out by the council. The guy just went and had a look around the property (we weren't there at the time) checked it was fenced and that people had access to the front door without the dogs. Then he rang us up and asked questions like how often did we clear up after them, where did they sleep etc and that was that. Common sense stuff. as to the amount of garden, can't help for sure on that, surely that would depend on the size of the dogs and how often they are exercised.

Karen and Rich, with the animals the difference between the pets passport scheme and the export/import licence is the rabies shot. What that comes down to is you can bring them into NZ but if you want to take them back into the UK they will have to have their rabies shots bdfore that happens.

Mechidna. there is a lot of info on the web, but for us as we were already in NZ the easiest way was to go with a pet freight company. It took a lot of the responsibility off our daughter who handled the UK end for us. Luckily they didn't have to have quarantine coming from the UK as I think our youngest one would have found that very hard.

Default Costs

We got a quote for taking our Collie Lucky to Auckland, cost is £1563. But this does not include getting medical tests done before hand.

This was from a company called Animal Airlines.

Has anyone used them or spoken to them ??

Alan & Sally

that seems a reasonable quote, can't comment on the company though.

If you look at the monetry value of the dog (ours: a stray and a free to a good home) it seems ridiculous to spend out this sort of money. But I can't evaluate the feeling of having our two dogs here with us. To watch old arthritic Brin run on the beach so happily and to see Chippie investigate every smell there and have the occasional loopy run around, ears flapping and grinning like a dolphin is immeasurable to me.

Default dogs

yeah, I know exactly what you mean, we got our dog from a rescue centre, he a 8 year old mongrel collie, when you look at it in harsh cash terms paying several grand to ship him to NZ is madness.

But he's family now, and we could leave him behind without knowing that he'd be going to a good home. So I sell my car and use the cash to cover his shipping costs.

just a foot note to this. Brin, having been a really healthy dog died of acute kidney failure a couple of weeks ago. he was ill for 5 days and up til the day before had been walking on the beach and loving it. Do I regret spending the money bringing him over for the 17 months he was here....not a penny of it. We still have Chippie but at the moment he is like a little shadow of himself. I hadn't fully realised how much dogs grieve, he is one sad puppy.

Really sorry to hear that Veronica, you must be gutted. Poor Chippie, his best mate suddenly gone.

Hugs

Veronica, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. It's very hard for a while when they go. I glad you feel the money to take him was well spent - I'd feel the same way. Maybe what the young dog needs is a new playmate - though a bit soon yet maybe?

For Veronica and Chippie

So sorry to hear of your loss
    Debbie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast