Thread: Bring caravan ???

Default Bring caravan ???

Can anyone offer advise/info on caravaning in NZ ???
    My Mom has decided to sell her caravan-it's almost new and has hardly been used so would be a great buy.
    However, we are moving back to NZ from the UK later this year (as soon as house sells).
    So; a few questions...........
    Is caravaning popular in NZ ?
    Can campsites accomodate them ?
    I lived in NZ some years back and didn't really notice any caravans-holiday accomodation was motels; baches and cabins.
    Is this still the case-or has the caravan way of life reached NZ ?
    In a nutshell-is it worth bringing!!!!??????????

Any help/advise appreciated.
    Thanks
    Steve

Caravans are extremely expensive here - several people have considered importing them.

I would say that, as long as any alterations (to electrics etc or perhaps to conform to vehicle testing etc here) and importing taxes aren't restrictive, and you will use it a lot, then definitely bring it. NZ is fantastic for camping/caravaning/motorhoming so you'll be able to get around a lot.

You only have to check out the prices they are charging for caravans on trademe to see how expensive they are!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-96087804.htm

There are caravans 15 yrs younger on eBay UK for half the price

Yeah bring it! we left our 4000 van in the uk but saw tha same 1996 model for sale here for $36000!!!

We were quoted 3600 to ship it Southampton-auckland on ro-ro ferry- they will fit in a container but only a 40ft highcube and even then they have 1 inch space on each side so may get damaged if they move about.

The vans here are awful in comparison to uk vans- flat glass windows not plastic double glazed, no showers or cassette loos unless you have a recent one, and most are 20yrs old or more unless you spend $20000+

Try www.new-zealand-removals.com- i think they were the ones who quoted us- or they put me onto someone who did- i cant remember- but i remember the price.

Many thanks Moorf and Charlosparky for your thoughts and advice.........
    I've contacted the Land Transport NZ dept to get details on what's involved in bringing it into the country.

Thanks again guys..........

Steve

Very welcome, please let us know how you get on