Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to sell house?

Default How long did it take you to sell house?

Hey,

House going on marker in 3 weeks, hoping to go to NZ in November..just wondered how long it took you all to sell houses???

thanks

J and G

The million dollar Q????

We were by admission soooooooooo lucky, put it on the market the Sat before Xmas (not the best time of yr) had nothing over festive period then 5 or 6 viewings in Jan. We realisticaly had to had to have a firm accepted offer by end Jan to get us out to NZ by end March. It was so close, we accepted an offer 5k under at the beg of Feb from an investor so no chain involved, the agents & soliciters completed everythin in just 6wks, which proves it can be done but is exceptionally quick. U r selling at a much better time of yr and if u have time to wait till Nov I would advise hangin off for the right buyer, some people will use the fact that u r emigrating to get u to drop ur price.

U will undoubtedly hear both success and horror stories. I hope that u have luck on ur side and look forward to reading ur posts!!

Amanda

Thanks for reply Amanda, hope you are coping ok at the moment without hubby!! Your journey sounds like it fell into place...although you did drop somewhat...we are hoping to get it up for sale bank holiday weekend, so fingers crossed, will keep you posted!!

Jade x

we put ours on the market early june and sold late november after taking a bit of a price drop to sell. we didn't tell anyone (even the estate agent) why we were selling.

but amanda is right - its just luck of the draw

we put our house on market in beginning of may 2006, and finally got offer in beginning of march 2006 and exhange on 4th april 2007. Some people are lucky than us!

did you mean march 2007????

lol

Quote Originally Posted by holland View Post
    did you mean march 2007????

lol
    sorry yes march 2007, well spotted!...

Just to show the contrast between selling in England and Scotland, we put our place on the market in the last week of August (06) recieved an offer 2 days later but held out for 3 weeks and accepted an offer £25k more than the first. We knew we wouldn't have any problems selling and our situtation was/is by no means unique. I guess in smaller scottish communities it would take longer, but in the cities (well most of them) you don't have much to worry about. Of course that's not to say that some properties don't shift, but I'd say the majority are sold quite quickly. How long that will be the case is anyones guess.

We also didn't have the panic about people pulling out at the last minute because once the missives are signed (couple of weeks after you accept the offer) there's no backing out

I really, really feel for those of you going through the house selling process south of the border

Milliemoo

We put ours up for sale at the end of Nov 2006 and accepted an offer at the end of Jan 2007. We complete on 27 April. Our choice. Although like Milliemoo, we live in Scotland, so once missives were signed in Feb we knew there was no chance of buyers pulling out.

Ours took 8 months & one buyer that fell through but that was in 2004 when the market was a nightmare (we left UK after 2 months of it being on the market) - from what I've heard things have picked up quite drastically back in UK since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast