Thread: Auckland Neighborhoods

Default Auckland Neighborhoods

Can someone give us recommendations for interesting Auckland neighborhoods? As a young couple coming from San Francisco, we're looking for something moderately hip. I need to get to the university easily, so not too far out. I've been looking at neighborhoods near school and they all look like wealthy hi-rises not really our style.

Thanks for any advice!

If you want funky, look at Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Point Chev, Freemans Bay. lots of old villas(what north americans call character houses) and good cafes etc nearby. however you will have travel across the downtown area to get to the university (I am assuming this is Auckland University, not Massey?) Bus service is good, downtown is pretty much gridlocked in morning and evening rush hour. Mount Eden has some nice places , also parts of Parnell. are you looking to rent or buy?

Tecso, I'd recommend reading this book, I received it a few days ago and it seems quite informative: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Live-Auc...6796626&sr=8-1

Tecso wrote:

Can someone give us recommendations for interesting Auckland neighborhoods? As a young couple coming from San Francisco, we're looking for something moderately hip.
    If you find such a place in Auckland, do let me know, I'd like to live there!

But on a more helpful note, this site is quite good as it gives you a virtual tour of a few of the main streets in various suburbs. So you can see what cafes, bars and shops are there:

www.highstreet.co.nz

This is quite a good site for finding out 'what's on' and cafe/bar/restaurant reviews. It should give you an idea of which areas have more things happening:

www.viewauckland.co.nz

It is maybe worth a post asking where the other 'twenty somethings' on this forum live. Or more specifically ask 'where are liveliest bars' or the 'comedy clubs' etc, depending on what interests you

I have visited San Franscico for a holiday and IMHO it is in a whole different league to Auckland and I haven't found anything similar. However, I have met plenty of people from SF who have moved here and the reasons they normally give are:

"For their children"
    "Auckland is smaller, quieter, less people"
    "Easier access to beaches/outdoor life"
    "To escape the American political climate"

(As you can probably tell most of the people I meet are families with young children!)

I'm not saying you can't find 'hip' in Auckland, its just that its probably not encapsulated in one suburb. Perhaps an email to the University asking where most students live might also give you some ideas.

Hope this helps a little bit!

Cheers

Tia

I'd agree with Kanatakiwi and go for the Ponsonby/Freemans Bay/Grey Lynn areas. Easy access to the Uni (it used to take me about 15 minutes to walk there) and there are plenty of bus services to downtown.
    Lots of good cafes, restaurants and bars, food stores, furniture stores and funky clothes shops.
    The suburbs above have quite a young vibe compared to Parnell, which has an old money feel to it, and isn't as gregarious. (I lived here for two years and loved it though...)
    And they're more hip than Mt Eden. A bit too 'middle aged, middle class' for me. Kingsland is a cool, upcoming little suburb - but a bit further out.

Like Tia said, there is nowhere that really compares with SF. I'd chew off my own arm to go back and live there again!

Default Thanks

Wow, what a great response. This BB is a godsend! I'm looking for a copy of that book, just what I wanted. And I gave my husband the links to the web sites so he can look around. We are going to rent, as I'm only there for grad school (about 2 years). It would be fun to rent a house if we can find a small one - I can't imagine trying to furnish a whole house! We're bringing our cat and she would be pleased to have a yard to play in.