Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ladies: beauty therapy in NZ?

Question ladies: beauty therapy in NZ?

Today I was thinking about how I dread starting from scratch finding someone to cut my hair, wax my eyebrows, and once in a while, give me a massage.

Then it hit me that another of my occasional indulgences is a good chemical peel once in a while. Has anyone had this type of beauty therapy in NZ? I've looked on line, and when I can actually find a day spa or beauty therapy salon on the web, I see that none of them list "chemical peels" as an option: they list waxing, tanning, electrolysis, deep-cleansing masks, and dermabrasion.

(I've also noticed that "aesthetitian" is not readily in the lexicon, either. They are called "beauty therapists" even by the universities in NZ).

Are chemical peels called something else in NZ? Or do they just not use them? I have found it to be the one thing that brightens and clears up my complexion.

Maybe it's just something no one can afford!??

Funnily enough, I noticed something to do with chemical peeling treatments in a therapy salon in the village yesterday. I will check and let you know! (Howick village, that is).
    The other day, I was at a client in Grafton Road and it was opposite the NZ College of Beauty Therapy. There seem to be lots and lots of treament rooms and individual practitioners, as well as spas here, so I think you'll be spoilt for choice.
    Just did a quick google and this is what came up for Auckland:
    http://www.palmclinic.co.nz/treatments/about_us.php and http://www.151therapie.co.nz/service...ervicetypeid=1

Hope you find what you are looking for wherever you are headed,
    Gil

I've been thinking of pampering myself with some beauty treatments but I have no idea where to start. I'm 33 and don't even know how to wear makeup. I finally just started splurging on a decent haircut and am considering getting highlights. I have noticed more wrinkles since moving to NZ and have started wearing a daily moisturizer with SPF 30. I just feel like it's time to start taking care of myself.
    So any suggestions of good moisturizer or where to go for a facial? I would love to find a good spa and just go there and say "make me beautiful". But I think I would only do this on a recommendation.
    Has anyone tried the Cocoon Thai Spa on Chapel Road? I've been thinking about trying that for a Thai massage.
    Susan

Gil...thank you for the good news! I hope to have many options! We'll be somewhere on the North Island.

Hi, Susan.

I think it's wonderful that you want to "start taking care" of yourself. Some people think it is a waste of money or selfish to get pampered, but beauty therapy is really a wonderful way to soothe the soul as well as the body.

I hope someone can offer you some suggestions about a good place to try. I, too, would only go on recommendation. Here in the states, I found a nice place that has the most incredible ambience. All the people who work there are so nice. The music is soft, the lighting is pleasing, and the positive energy is soul-quenching. I really feel like it is time and money well-spent. I work hard and am under too much stress; it feels necessary to receive a bit of rejuvination this way. I hope to find a place as pleasing in NZ.

I am 41 and have a bit of sun damage from too much sun bathing as a teen (I thought it would clear up my breakouts, so I baked in the sun often!! Egads!!) So, to try to "erase" that damage as well as mid-life break-outs, I have had five chemical peels in the last five months, and my skin looks the best it has in years. The peels get rid of the sun damaged outer layer and force your skin to turn over newer cells faster--hence your skin is fresh looking and smooth.

Another amazing beauty tip is to get a good eyebrow shape/wax. It really can lift up your whole face and make your eyes seem brighter and your face younger.

As for a massage, I had never had a massage until just over a year ago. I had always thought it was something for "fru fru" people and not me--a hard working teacher, mountain girl, single mom, etc. However, I read something really important one day that just clicked: if you don't take care of "you," who will?

So, I give myself permission to do something that makes me feel good about myself, makes me feel peaceful, even more grateful of my health and life. I figure if I feel good inside and out, then I'm certainly more prepared to be available for those who depend on me.

Good luck with your "transformation" into a more beautiful you.

Christine

I can offer some recommendations for Auckland if they are of any use to anyone. I am a complete addict to beauty treatments. (I need them!)

Best eyebrow threading is at East Day Spa on Albert St in the CBD. The girls there are fantastic and what they do with a piece of cotton is miraculous!

Best facials are at Equipoise Spa on Jervois Road, Herne Bay. Possibly the best facial I've ever had anywhere in the world!

Best waxing - Chantal Landais on Ponsonby Road. They are demons with the hot wax. I've never felt a thing.

I'm not into chemical peels (I like organic products) but a friend has suggested Skin Science, which has salons on the North Shore and in Ponsonby.

The best hairdresser I've come across is Frances at Servilles in the Chancery. She is a complete whizz - spent 7 years in London, and I met her on her first week back in NZ, and I've been seeing her ever since. Expensive, but very worth it! (She has tamed my completely unruly and shapeless hair into something quite sleek and stylish - shame I can't replicate her skills with a brush and blowdryer...)

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post

Best eyebrow threading is at East Day Spa on Albert St in the CBD. The girls there are fantastic and what they do with a piece of cotton is miraculous!
    Now I thought I was a woman of the world........ but what the heck is "eyebrow threading"

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo View Post
    Now I thought I was a woman of the world........ but what the heck is "eyebrow threading"

Milliemoo
    It's a technique whereby the beautician uses a piece of cotton, which is formed into a loop, to remove unwanted hair. It's predominantly used for facial hair and is much kinder to the skin than waxing.
    I think it is Middle Eastern or Asian in origin. I was recommended it by an Indian friend of mine - she has the most amazing eyebrows.

ooohhhh interesting. You learn something new every day

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    Best waxing - Chantal Landais on Ponsonby Road. They are demons with the hot wax. I've never felt a thing.
    What exactly do you mean by "never felt a thing". I've been wanting to go for a bikini wax for a long time, but I'm too much of a chicken. I've tried the do it yourself cold wax at home, but it hurt so much plus I ended up with a lot of bruising. I was thinking of saving up for laser hair removal instead, but that also scares me.

Now about eyebrows... I love my big thick eyebrows, but I they seem to be growing so it may be time for some waxing - or I like the sound of the threading you mentioned. How often do you need to wax them? How painful is it?

Regarding facials - my sister recommended microdermabrasion. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your help - one day I'll turn into a girly girl

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "never felt a thing". I've been wanting to go for a bikini wax for a long time, but I'm too much of a chicken. I've tried the do it yourself cold wax at home, but it hurt so much plus I ended up with a lot of bruising. I was thinking of saving up for laser hair removal instead, but that also scares me.

Now about eyebrows... I love my big thick eyebrows, but I they seem to be growing so it may be time for some waxing - or I like the sound of the threading you mentioned. How often do you need to wax them? How painful is it?

Regarding facials - my sister recommended microdermabrasion. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks for your help - one day I'll turn into a girly girl

Susan
    The waxer I see at CL is fantastic - honestly, she applies the hot wax and just rips it off. Totally painless and so quick. Cold wax at home is horribly painful I wouldn't recommend anyone try that!

I hate waxing eyebrows - threading is definitely better. I get it done once a month, and although initially the skin looks a little red, they apply a cold compress and it goes away. With waxing I used to swell, and needed to tidy up between visits with tweezers far more than I do now.

Microdermabrasion is a method of exfoliation. A very fine layer of crystals are blaster at the skin, removing the dead skin cells and therefore making your complexion look brighter and smoother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast