Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a rental

Default Looking for a rental

Hi all. Well time is speeding along & our departure date to NZ on 17/5 is giving me the collywobbles.We're looking to rent in Param. or thereabouts & have been beseiging agents galore. We already knew finding a place with a pooch in tow was going to be difficult but despite very polite & friendly responses,they all say "sorry nothing at the mo but we'll be in touch . . ." I've been advised on a previous thread not to jump at anything & avoid the net but to be honest, I'm feeling desperate.The worse decisions are made at times like this & I'm trying to hold my nerve.We lived in a crap bedsit for nearly a year when we were first married & I feel as we're starting over in a new country maybe grin & bear it might have to do. I would very very much appreciate any support,advise or a surprisingly brilliant rental out of the blue situation.Also, the enormity of what we're doing hit me this week & I stupidly feel the tears welling up & I don't know why. SNIFF

are you checking Trade Me for property rentals?

Let us know how you get on Victoria - we've got to share a home with two dogs. Hang on in there - we're nowhere near ready to go and you've set me off now!!!

Victoria - firstly feeling that way you do now is perfectly normal and we've all been there. Try not to worry.

Do you have somewhere to stay for a few days/week when you first arrive? Get that sorted and look for something longer term when you get here. Feeling as you are now you may well make a vry bad decision on something long term if you try and do it from there.

You will find it easier once you are here. Agents will take you more seriously. You can also get the paper, look on trademe, and most importantly go and see places as soon as they become available. Rental property isn’t hanging around right now so you need to be here and ready to make a decision on the spot. Lots of private rentals never go near an agent and may be more likely to accept a well-behaved dog.

thanks for the support.I knew you'd be there for me. We arrive on Sat 19/5 & haven't anything temp yet. One agent sent us details of a holiday let which we could rent monthly but despite us saying we're interested, she hasn't got back to us.We're prepared to take almost anything temporarily. Hubby's new employer did offer to put us up or at least babysit our pooch(they have 2 dogs & reckon they'd enjoy a new friend) but we couldn't possibly impose.There's that british thing again!We'll keep at it.Sent off some emails tonight to a couple of Trade Me ads. (dried eyed & in control) x

Have a look at www.bookabach.co.nz , short term holiday rentals. Some owners may be willing to negotiate their price if you're looking at a longer stay than a few days. There's also www.holidayhouses.co.nz and www.rentabach.co.nz that are worth looking at.

Lastly deep breaths and relax, get the temp accommodation sorted and start looking around when you arrive. You never know you might decide the Kapiti Coast isn't for you.

Hi Victoria - I've pm-ed you. We couldn't get a rental in Pram through any agents but did find a great bach that took the dog

I agree with Sizzlingbadger check out holiday lets online, they often come with everything you need you can often book them for longer stays and get a discount and you avoid going through an agent. I'd book one for about 3-6 weeks depending on how suitable/costly it is, then you can look for a long term rental in person and at your leisure.

You have a much better chance with the agents when you are dealing with them face to face, although even then it was my experience they were really naff about contacting you - so don't take it personally, just phone them daily till they get the message!

Cheers

Tia

try this too...
    www.holidayhomes.co.nz, we have rent few bach from there and it had been very good stays.

On arrival to NZ for good, We stayed at motel while trying to find somewhere to rent for a week before move into rental house. I did found one to rent via estate agents before we came out, and day after we arrived we went to inspect it, within few mins, I told my OH, NO WAY . Lucky we didn't sign or pay deposit etc. Look good and nice info on internet, but when we inspect it, it was other story, not nice, not safe for my children and areas oh my gosh. Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    try this too...
    www.holidayhomes.co.nz, we have rent few bach from there and it had been very good stays.

On arrival to NZ for good, We stayed at motel while trying to find somewhere to rent for a week before move into rental house. I did found one to rent via estate agents before we came out, and day after we arrived we went to inspect it, within few mins, I told my OH, NO WAY . Lucky we didn't sign or pay deposit etc. Look good and nice info on internet, but when we inspect it, it was other story, not nice, not safe for my children and areas oh my gosh. Be careful
    I definately agree!! When My OH and I arrived to NZ it was a shock looking at gorgeous rentals in the internet...but when we actually visit them they were so bad!! Make sure you are in a good area play it safe is prob a bit more expensive but in the long term is in the best interest for you and your family. Check everything!! touch the walls... sometimes you can even tell from a very humid place right away like it and if u really like it and is mouldy make sure in the contract the owner of the place pays for the cleaning or you will end up needing to clean it yourself all the time...sometimes when that happens you end up ruining the pain in the celing that happened to us...or simple just buy Exit mould very good product.
    Hope you have luck finding a flat very soon Oh and yes holidayhomes.co.nz is a very good website
    Best of luck and keep us posted,
    Ads
    Last edited by Mexican in NZ; 30th April 2007 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast