Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cockroaches and spiders

We're about to have our spiderproofing redone - we had it done just over a year ago, inside and out ($300) and it has appeared to work for all that time although it was only guaranteed for 6 mths. Only in the last couple of weeks have I see a live spider indoors, hence thoughts of getting it redone. I think my 2 robocan's have also, over the last year, contributed to the body count. I can only judge its effectiveness by the fact that I've seen perhaps 2 live spiders in the house since it was sprayed, and they were dead when I next saw them

You could also do the spraying yourself by buying the kits from Mitre10 / Bunnings etc, but I prefer to let someone else rummage in my undergrowth (with all the spiders...)

Never seen a 'roach in NZ... hope it stays that way.... plenty of mice here though but they're easy to deal with ..... *SNAP* ......

Used to work nights as security in a hospital and played football with the cockroaches. They always won because it was one against many but there was always lots of injurys and deaths on their team.

You can get traps for cockroaches which basically is an upturned piece of sticky tape that they get stuck to - not as effective as chemicals but the death toll in the morning can be high.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    You could also do the spraying yourself by buying the kits from Mitre10 / Bunnings etc, but I prefer to let someone else rummage in my undergrowth (with all the spiders...)

Couldn't agree more

It's a relief to know the stuff works. I'm such a wimp - can't even cope with the UK spiders... mind you, in the last couple of years, some of those house spiders have been whoppers

I had a hard time believing the fingernail eating thing...sounded like an urban legend, but after a little internet scoping it would appear to be true! Plus it's not just fingernails, and it's not just children. They also like hair and skin. But mainly fingernails, seemingly. I don't know why, although their wings are made of keratin, so maybe they are stocking up on some raw material....

GROSS.

Another little note, while checking on my favorite urban legend debunking site, I came across something that confirms you REALLY don't want to use too many bug bombs at once, at least not while you have a pilot light on...
    http://www.snopes.com/humor/follies/bugbomb.asp

Critters are a big deal to me, I am a bit psyched out by what could sneak into NZ by way of Australian containers, since that seems to be the main source of arachnid nasties...

They seem to gravitate towards water sources, because they need water to survive. It doesn't mean they are getting in through the bathroom window or whatever...we used to find spiders in the shower periodically until we figured out they were coming in under the door between the office and the basement storage area, a couple rooms away! Now we always keep a towel stuffed under there.

What geographical areas are the roach sightings in, so far? I've never had to live with roaches before, not keen to start...
    Last edited by Juniper; 27th April 2007 at 10:11 AM.

oh yeah, here's my old thread about freakin out over bugs...ug

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6155

i'm sure you can find more with a search...maybe too much fuel for the fire, but i'd prefer that to "oh my god what IS that!"
    Last edited by Juniper; 27th April 2007 at 10:23 AM.

I prefer to let someone else rummage in my undergrowth (with all the spiders...)
    Sounds uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing if you have your bikini line done regularly

L

Never seen a 'roach in NZ... hope it stays that way....
    That's because your country spiders are big enough to eat them

Joking aside, I'm sure having poulty must help keep the nasty bugs down. When we had ducks as kids they used to eat everything smaller than them in the garden. I've read that there was an tradtional Maori gardeners trick of tethering a hungry seagull to your veg patch for pest control. It's kind to the enviroment and at last a usefully purpose for seagulls

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
    Sounds uncomfortable, not to mention embarrassing if you have your bikini line done regularly

L

Jules

stupid question #1

I know it helps to have a cats to deter small rodents but does it also work to deter insects?

stupid question #2

I've seen roaches in the States (also called water bugs). They are not only massive in size but they also fly. Do ones in NZ fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    stupid question #1

I've seen roaches in the States (also called water bugs). They are not only massive in size but they also fly. Do ones in NZ fly?
    OMG that truely is the stuff of nightmares!

*promtly faints for the second time this week *

Milliemoo

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast