Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of PR?

Default Benefits of PR?

Aside from the obvious benefit, namely getting to stay in this beautiful country, I'm trying to figure out how to make the most of it.

Are people with PR able to get better mortgage rates, cheaper insurance, credit cards, financial student aid, cheaper dental, etc .... ? Are there any 'hidden' perks that you are aware of?

Cheers!

My OH medication is reduced from $45 to $6 when we have PR his doctor has advised, blood pressure tablets.

You can get a 100% mortgage with PR same rate as anyone else.

only 2 I have come across so far.

Quote Originally Posted by suebeenz View Post
    Are people with PR able to get better mortgage rates, cheaper insurance, credit cards, financial student aid, cheaper dental, etc .... ? Are there any 'hidden' perks that you are aware of?

Cheers!
    With PR you can get cheaper student fees at University and are eligible to apply for a student loan.
    I think if you are on a low income you can apply for a community card which gives you cheaper visits to a doctor. I'm not sure if this applies to dentists as well, but I've a feeling it doesn't.
    Depending on your income level you can get family assistance, and don't have to pay a fee for your kids to attend school.

You don't get a better deal on a mortgage or insurance or credit card than if you are on a work permit - negotiate these things with your bank. (Some people have struggled to get a credit card when on a work permit though.)

don't have to pay a fee for your kids to attend school.
    this is true on a work permit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelonthemove View Post
    My OH medication is reduced from $45 to $6 .
    this is true for Work Permit as well, I only pay $6 for my meds, also got a community card and only pay $10 for visit to doctor.

You don't have to fill in the immigration forms twice and have 2 lots of medicals if you go straight for PR. If your kids have PR you can apply for family tax credits straight away.

100% mortgage, no additional paperwork, 'bennys' for kids. Good info. thx guys. Any other good ones?

Non-residents pay 50% more for continuing education classes (eg night classes at local school).

Importing of personnel effects on work permit seems to be a problem according to one of the shipping companies we spoke to.

I actually had no problems importing personal effects (I brought a lot) without PR, but maybe I just lucked out.

This sounds interesting:

"student allowances are available for some NZ students aged 16 years and over who are studying in recognised full-time tertiary or secondary courses. The allowance is income-tested, and how much a student receives depends on individual circumstances. Considerations include:
    - whether or not the student lives at home
    - whether or not the student has dependent children
    - other sources of income, such as wages earned by the student's partner

[snip]
    Before they can access a student loan, students who are not citizens must:
    -have held NZ permanent residence for two years
    -have lived in NZ for two years on a continuous basis

Allowances are managed by studylink
    www.studylink.govt.nz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast