Thread: IRRV question?

Question IRRV question?

It is my understanding that to obtain an IRRV, one must be in NZ for more than six months of two consecutive years. Once you do this, you get a stamp or sticker on your passport that allows you to return to NZ at any time and stay as long as you like. Sounds fabulous. My question is: does time spent in NZ on a work visa, but not yet permanent resident, count towards this six months/two years requirement? I should be arriving in Auckland on a work visa in mid to late June, and I'm really hoping the clock starts ticking so that I can count 2007 as one of my two years.

Hi,

Here is the page you want: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...finitevisa.htm

I think it s 2 years with Permanent Residency, so I do not think time on a WP counts. Note the emphasis on planning to stay in NZ and showing that your base is NZ. It sounds like that does not apply to you (or have I misunderstood?), so you have to be aware it is not a right to get a IRRV and they will ask questions to confirm you have the intention of staying.

Neil

its only time with PR that counts i'm afraid. when you get your PR you'll get a 2 year RRV, once that runs out you can apply for your IRRV

Quote Originally Posted by neilw71 View Post
    I think it s 2 years with Permanent Residency, so I do not think time on a WP counts.
    Neil
    There will be 2 blue stickers on your passport, one is for PR and another one is for RRV (there is an expired date on it). You could only apply for IRRV after your RRV had expired.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    you cannot apply earlier for the Indefinate RRV, if you apply earlier then only a RRV will be issued.
    As long as you have fullfilled all the requirments: 184 days residence per year for 2 years, and can show your a tax resident/invested 1000000$ or established a bussiness and your previous RRV has expired then you should be granted an IRRV

Can anyone answer this....

I got my blue stickers (PR) on 8 Feb 07 but with conditions to stay in the job for 3 months. I did this and got a new residence permit and RRV on 16 May 07. Does my 2 years for IRRV or my 5 years for citizenship start with the first residence permit (with conditions) or the second one (without)? Any ideas?

your 2 years will start from when you first received PR so after 8 Feb 2009 you can apply for a IRRV you can then apply for citzenship after 8 Feb 2012

From previous posts I think its from the first residence permit you had put in your passport, so 2 yrs from date you first arrived on your PR (with conditions) not the new PR without conditions.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....highlight=irrv

This thread might help (or may just confuse you more!)

Thanks. I thought it would be the first one because it is still a residence permit and would surely count.