Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing food into NZ

Default Bringing food into NZ

I have a friend coming over from UK to stay with me and ive asked her to bring some small food items as all my other friends have had their rellies bring stuff over for them, packet things like paxo, hula hoops, gravy granules, and choc, well she has just emailed me to say that sinapore airlines wont let her and they will dispose of them, surely this isnt right?
    I know she cant bring meat, veg & fruit, plants and seeds that sort of things, but PAXO, come on!!!
    Anyone know what the rule is? im sooooo upset i was looking forward to polo's and bournville.
    Thanx Joanne

Sorry my ignorance, but ...what is PAXO??
    I am from Mexico. and when my parents came they even brough my OH pork skin cracks we call it chicharrones..they brought me also some corn mix to make tortillas, etc...so I think if PAXO is something like it she will be fine.
    xx,
    Ads

i flew singapore and they never even mentioned food items until they handed out the clearance form for MAF.

we brought in oxo cubes etc and declared them as food but MAF weren't remotely interested.

Default Paxo

Thanx Ads, Paxo is a stuffing mix for Chicken and Turkey, and its yum, much nicer than NZ soggy stuff!
    Joanne

Default MAF

Good enough for me, thanx trigirl, looks like ill get my stuff afterall, yipeee!!!!!

Hi Adriana.

Paxo is a dried sage and onion stuffing mix for chicken.

They do sell similar products here in NZ, but to us Brits it's not quite the same as good old UK Paxo.

It can probably be bought in one of the UK food shops here, but to be honest I have never looked 'co I can manage without it.

Julie

xx

You just have to make sure yor friend declares the stuff when she enters NZ. MAF aren't really interested in packaged goods, but you do have to declare them.
    I got some lovely Hartley jelly cubes the other day from someone I met at the airport. I'm saving them and only eating a cube a day... my favourite thing!

Oh ok, thanks for explaining!
    Yes i am very very sure is not problem you just need to declare it as if not then is when all the problems start.
    xx,
    Ads

I always find that going through 'something to declare' speeds up your trip through the airport in NZ anyway (always take a sachet of my daughter's powdered formula whether I need it or not! Saves having to have all your bags heaved onto the scanner).

My parents have brought Bisto & other goodies through without any probs - they're just interested in whether you're bringing anything through that may cause a bio-security issue (i.e. something with a bug in it or something that could spread disease - hence the fresh fruit, veg, meat & fish ruling) - anything packeted should be absolutely fine.

yep.. we brought Galaxy chocolate for someone over here as a thank-you when we arrived. Just make sure you tick the food items check box on your declaration form they give you on the plane, go to the "something to declare line" - show them what you've got and you should be fine.

My only problem was that as well as the Galaxy I'd bought a packet of dried cat biscuits ( Royal Canin for fussy cats!) all sealed and new, and even though they sell them over here at Vets and a few pet stores, because it wasn't a product listed on the MAF computer system, the MAF man at the airport had to consficate them.. luckily found another supply in 48 hr gap before cat arrived..!

I think the moral of the story, is as long as its an every day item (and therefore on their computer system) and sealed packets and no fresh fruit/meat etc... you'll be fine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast