Thread: Student Visa's

Default Student Visa's

Hey does anyone know anything about student visas?

I'm just thinking - what if this? What if that? You know how it is when you're waiting for NZIS to get back to you about something and you fear the worst case scenario of being rejected. I have an over active mind!! And WAY TOO MUCH TIME to think about things.

Anyway, that's off the topic. What I wanted to ask was - if I get a student visa to study postgraduate in New Zealand can my husband and child come with me on the student visa? Or do they have to apply under a separate section?

I'm here as a student, but on my own. I believe that if you are studying at postgraduate level or for a qualification that would get Skilled Migrant points, your partner can apply for an open work permit. If your child is school age they will need a student permit too. So I think it would be three separate applications. The health and police check requirements are the same as other temporary visas (i.e. medical if visa for over a year, police cert for 2 years or more).

What Jaycee said is what the Immigration site advises.

If you hold a New Zealand student visa or permit, your husband can qualify for an open work visa/permit.

The criteria for this policy is as follows:
    You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa and/or permit to study towards:

I am 100% sure whether your children would qualify for local education fees, though I am almost certain.

Your children would definitely need to apply for student visas either way.

As part of Immigrations policies they do have special provisions for children who are traveling to NZ with a parent who has a work permit/visa.
    If children accompanying their parents in this situation and they qualify for a to a student visa they only need to pay local student fees.

The the Seasonal work visas and foreign chartered fishing vessel work visas are specifically excluded.
    As no other visa type is mentioned, I would expect that provided your children qualify for student visas (almost a certainty) they would qualify to study at primary and secondary school (up to Year 13) at local NZ student prices.

So the short answer is you would need separate visas for each person coming to NZ, though your husband will be eligible for an Open permit so he can work in almost any job when he gets here and your children should be able to study at local prices, unless they are studying at post high school (tertiary) level.

Shawn

Tentun, have you found this to be correct? I had thought that if I came on student visa to study for one yr graduate diploma that led to qulaification on skilled shortage list, my Oh wouldn't be able to work and worse we'd have to pay international fees for our 3 kids? (which we can't afford to do!) I REALLY hope I'm wrong! What do you think? I've looked at immigration site but obviously need to do so again.

Hi there

I've not investigated it in too much detail yet as we are in the process of pursuing other options and are hoping to go down the PR route but studying is our last resort option if all other routes fail (even though I do genuinely want to study further) but it worries me about the international fees as I'm not sure we could afford these.
    If I find out any more info I will let you know. I've checked the website myself but I had to read and re-read it a few times before it made any sense to me and I'm not sure I completely understand it still!!

I am taking my husband along as I enter university postgraduate studies in July. He got a work visa. Though he is on the skilled shortage list, so it's hard to say which exactly worked in his favor. I did talk to the consulate and they told me not to worry, my husband could join me regardless. (I don't think they are interested in separating families.)

The real benefits for students with families are not for postgrad, but doctoral students. Some very nice allowances. I believe I got that info from the immigration website, try a search on doctoral. If not, try the university of Auckland international student section.

Have just found out from Min of Ed. who spoke to immigration on our behalf, that if I study a subject leading to a qualification on skills shortage, OH can apply for work permit and our kids don't have to pay international fees!! Yippee, so suddenly we may have a way in!

I agree Tentun, its very hard form website to work out what they're actuallu saying.

Carey, you are correct..
    Only the major student visa holder have to pay for the "international student fees
    Your kids allow enjoy the public schools for free.