Thread: MMR vaccinations

Default MMR vaccinations

My daughter just had her 15months old vaccinations at lunchtime of MMR. My son had UK's MMR in one jab but I wasn't prepare for this NZ's MMR was in three single jabs! Poor baby, sleeping at moment on me!
    Just realise that I recalled the debates over MMR in UK, about three single jab is not 100% safe because they don't give three in one go. Can someone shed a light on what is different on NZ's and UK's three single jab of MMR?
    will she be expect to have another one before 4years as nurse told me my son is due for his MMR booster in July when he turn 4 as he had UK's MMR.
    Thanks for your help

My son is due to have some jabs next week in school and we not sure what to do as he has been vaccinated in UK.

Poor baby though, not nice for anyone but a baby....

i didnt have my MMR jab when it was first? (im not completely sure..but when i was 11/12 every school had nurses come in to administer it..it was about 1996) brought into schools and was widely administered. my mum opted myself, brothers and sister out of it.im naturally immune to rubella which is awesome in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
    My son is due to have some jabs next week in school and we not sure what to do as he has been vaccinated in UK.

Poor baby though, not nice for anyone but a baby....
    Does your son have UK's red book, with details of vaccinations he had done in it? if yes, take with him when he is having jabs at school. Otherwise seek your GP for advice. Our children have now fully update with vaccinations to match with NZ's requirements inc Men B and Hep B that not include in UK's.

I believe the reason we don't do MMR in three hits over here is partly due to cost. There's a large body of opinion which says that's how it should be given so perhaps NZ is just more open to that policy. The concerns over MMR a few years ago were as a result of now discredited research by a guy with a vested interest in a grugs company. The damage he caused is immeasurable. I'm not qualified to say there is no risk involved in any drug - even aspirin has its doubters but, as with any vacc, drug, lotion, potion etc, the known dangers of the disease or illness they are intended to prevent are themselves horrendous. My own kids had their jabs when they were babies but my friend had to come with me because I used to get so upset!!! Babies were fine - I was a wreck.

MMR here is 15 mnths and 4 yrs.

Sophia, I think maybe you only had three separate injections due to your families allergies, as everyone else I know has had a single vaccine, the triple vaccine is grown in an egg culture.

I must get my fellas done, Im only 2 months late, ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Sophia, I think maybe you only had three separate injections due to your families allergies, as everyone else I know has had a single vaccine, the triple vaccine is grown in an egg culture.
    Thanks, I didn't know this, surely the nurse should told me about this as I have been wondering about why we had three single jabs, so far didn't seem affect on my daughter apart from three bruise marks . However, my son is the one with serious egg allergy and he did have a single vaccine type in UK (with catch that we had to stay at clinic for two hour just in case he get reaction )