Thread: Porirua to Wellington

Default Porirua to Wellington

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive to Wellington from Porirua. Is it within commuting distance or does the rush hour traffic prevent this.

It looks a very beautiful city, has anyone got any experiences of Porirua to share.

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers

Adrian

It REALLY does depend on the time you travel Adrain.
    It can take anything from 20 mins to 45mins depending on traffic.

Porirua is growing at a rapid rate of knotts.........

but to be honest.....it wouldnt be my first choice of places to live.
    In fact it wouldnt rate at all if I'm honest.

I do love Whitby further north (we lived there for 6 years) or even better Pauatahanui - another harbour inlet just next to Porirua.
    Although both of these areas fall under the "Porirua" umbrella.

My ideal place would be Pauatahanui - it is so pretty - and only 2 minutes from my school!

Carol,

Thanks very much for the information, there's nothing like getting the low down from someone who actually lives in the area. Hopefully, I will be over there next year to check it all out for myself.

I certainly don't mind commuting if the area is much better to live in, here in Hong Kong we are used to 1 hour commutes.

BTW, how long is the commute from Pauatahanui to Welly, and are the prices of houses more reasonable than Porirua, i.e. are they cheaper and do you get larger gardens.

My wife demands that we have a large garden and that we are not overlooked too much by the neighbours, unfortunately you need a King's ransom to afford that luxury in Wellington, hence the reason I’m looking further a field.

Adrian

If you dont mind travelling on the train into Wellington and you dont mind a bit of commute time I would go even further north - around Raumati Beach/Paraparaumu/Waikanae area. You get a WHOLE lot more for your money there.

On the other hand - you really do need to travel by train because the road is a nightmare. Too much traffic + too small a road = recipe for disaster. ANd that happens at an alarming frequency.

Whitby is a great alternative - big enough to make lots of friends - small enough to only have a tiny shopping centre (with a great supermarket though!!) and commutable from via car or train. Although the station is a 5 min drive away.
    It is still relatively new - first houses built in the 70s - and is growing into the Pauatahanui area - so bigger sections still available if you wanted to build.
    Pauatahanui commute time to Wellington would be around 30 mins on a good run. And you get to drive around one of the most beautiful inlets I've ever seen!

Do you need schools? Heaps of good ones in Whitby area (5 actually)

I think I should be a real estate agent....................NAH!!!!!

Wow Carol, this information is great, and yes we will need schools, although only a Kindergarten at first.

Whitby sounds exactly what my wife wants. As i mentioned before she wants a big garden but she does not want to be so far out in the sticks that she cannot make friends.

Taking a train is also a great way to get to work as it gives me time to read a book, something i really enjoy but have not done for a while.

Thanks once again for all the info, it will help me save time when looking for a place next year.

Adrian

I know LOADS of people in Whitby to put her in touch with - just let me know if you need a hand with anything else.

All the kindis are really great in Whitby - but Discovery school and Adventure school have two of the best I've seen.

Carol