Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should a dentist cost?

Default How much should a dentist cost?

We just went for our first dental check up yesterday. We didn't bother doing the old shop around, just went to the place closest to us.

The usual check up, polish and because its our 1st visit, x-rays cost $100.

Being used to the NHS, having to go private will be something we have to get used to. I also have to go back and have some big proper clean done that costs $83 for every 1/2 hr in a couple of weeks.

He was a very good dentist though and the practice was far better equipped than the NHS counterpart.

Let us know what your experiences are and costs of treatment.

you used to have an NHS dentist? wow - i didn't think they existed anymore! there certainly weren't any round our way in the uk - well there were but they were completely full with massive waiting lists.

Sarah & Alex,
    The prices you mention for you dentist are similar to what we pay here in Wellington and ours is very professional as well, so I won't change.

Cheers,
    Anita

Bad Teeth Guy here.

Last year I spent US$3500 having the last vestiges of NHS dentistry removed from my mouth and done properly. (Along with US$2000 for other work. Ulp.) Two dentists, without knowing any of my background, were able to determine which work had been done in the UK just by looking. So 'free' can in the end be very costly.

The prices for major work in NZ are significantly less than similar quality work in southern California (NZ$900 vs. US$1200 for a fused crown). High degree of professionalism, ongoing training required, etc. in NZ.

Your prices match my (Wellington) estimates pretty well too.

Have a look through this thread for a few ideas

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ighlight=canal

Last year we were with a dentist in Howick: wanted to completely take out all wisdom teeth etc etc.

This year moved to Onehunga: no mention of any need to remove wisdom teeth! But I paid $120 for first check up, xrays and polish. I've let him replace a few old fillings and they are running at approx $150 per filling - it feels on the pricey side, but I'm sure they all vary a great deal.

Neil

Still saving the 2500 dollars to pay for root canal work + crown that my wife has to have. Absolutely gutted as she could have had it for free in the UK when pregnant

Anita

where and who in Wellington are you visiting to get your teeth done? I am worse than a child when it comes to dentist.

Default Dentistry...licence to print money!

On my way to Dentist again today. Will be having a tooth implant due to cracking my tooth whilst using it as a tool to open a knot on a skipping rope (be warned). Cost £125 last time for xrays. Today over £200 for impressions etc and another £2200 for the job to be completed. Trying to pluck up courage to ask him if he could throw in some tooth whitener for free.

Be interested to know if it would cost the same in NZ?

I went to a dentist in Hamilton 10days ago with toothache, xray showed abcess, cavity and previous poor root canal work. My options were, refer to orthodontist and fee to save tooth started at $2400 or my dentist extractin the tooth for $200. Reluctantly and financially I opted for extraction but had to have a wk worth of antibiotics 1st, that visit cost $80 & prescription $15, the tooth was pulled last wk cost $180 but 2 days later developed an infection in the wound, another visit but a freebie this time. Now I am still in discomfort but poppin the pills and will go back if I need to.

After ringin 5 diff clinics locally I see they are all much the same prices, however I agree that they are more thourough and professional than my NHS one. Also mine is from Iraq and is truly mad as a hatter which helps wi the nerves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast