Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland????

Default Auckland????

Hi all,
    I am looking at a job based in Auckland, I had not really considered Auckland as a possibility as I am from Cumbria and am not used to big city life. Having never been to NZ, can any of you out there tell me what Auckland is like and if it is possible to live out of the city and commute etc, if so, can anyone give me any nice areas to live that are in easy commuting distance, yet rural?? (probably asking for everything there!) The job may be too good to turn down but I don't want to regret moving to Auckland when I was originally looking at Christchurch/Wellington so any help/information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nick :?

Yes it is possible - it just depends on how much you like sitting in the traffic.

Anywhere on the north shore up to Longbay / Albany / Dairy Flats is worth a look. The Whangaparaoa is a bit too far unless you are travelling outside the rush hours.

Howick (SE of Auckland) is also very nice and has some good schools.

I'd say it's more important to get a really good job offer first on a decent salary and then rent for a while when you get here. It''s well worth it because you can really get a feel for the place after 6 months and can change your perceptions quite a bit.

A lot of people also don't seem to stay in their first jobs for long and move on after a few months, or return home to their own countries. If you haven't bought a place then you are so much more mobile.

I would second Toots comment. I do love Auckland as a city it has some great suburbs. Go for the job with the salary to get you here and then decide where you want to live. Where your job is based in Auckland will dictate where you can live without spending hours in traffic.

Michelle

when i lived in nz the thing i didn't like about auckland was it felt like a small town rather than a big city!

Hi All, Having never been to Auckland or NZ for that, Linda & I are looking forward to an experience unsurpassed.

We have lived in St Helens for over 10years & I grew up here in a small villiage and Linda in Wigan. BUT we have no qualms about moving to the other side of the world looking for a better life & If its not in Auckland where we are heading in TWO WEEKS then we'll find somwhere else.

You just need to have a stab at it. keep it up! by the way we're heading to Howick, Lindas work will be 15 mins to Manukau City & I dont know mine but I will be looking to get the ferry from Half moon bay to the City riding my Bike.

Good luck.

I love Auckland yes it has major traffic problems at rush hours but a motorcycle cuts through that no worries,yes it has a seedy side with massage parlours and strip clubs,and members of biker gangs can appear menacing when they strut their way through shoppers.
    But Auckland is still an amazing city but it feels more like home to me than home does

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are moving to Auckland in 2 1/2 weeks! It's nice to hear that people like it. It's snowing, really windy and -9 Celsius, without windchill, where I am - north of Boston. I hope the weather gets better for the movers and the flight.

I've been lurking on this site for the last few months as our NZ plans have been progressing and I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their helpful information. It makes the whole move a little less scary.

Are there any others on this site from the New England area?

Auckland is probably the best place to live and work in New Zealand.

Why? because
    1. It's a thriving city and the facilties are good . It doesn't have the big city feel but you still know you're in the 21st Century.
    2. It's more pleasant on the eye than Wellington and it's flatter.
    3. There is lots of work here and there are also satelite centres around the city that generate a lot of job opportunties.
    3. The climate is pretty good, though a bit wet at the moment it is supposed to improve in Jan/Feb
    4. There are more good schools here to choose from. Many on the Shore are decile 10 and there are also some excellent fee paying schools.
    5. Less risk of earthquakes.
    6. We have the beautiful Hauraki Gulf and the Coromandel on our doorstep.
    7. An excellent choice of beaches on both the west and the east coasts.

Hey Ali

Our best man and his wife live in Half Moon Bay on Pidgeon Mountain Road. It sounds like a magical land doesn't it? Actually it's just another section of mile after mile of suburbia. They go into the city every day to work via the ferry and say it's very quick and convenient. Not long now mate - here's to a good trip.

Toots - quote

"Auckland is probably the best place to live and work in New Zealand".

I guess if you like noisy cities, excesive traffic, street after street of take aways and souvenir shops, office blocks, shopping malls, and all the other usual attributes of every other city in the world, and not forgetting the endless suburb after suburb - then I guess your comment is pretty accurate.

Personally I can think of dozens of places which would go above Auckland on my list of 'best places to live in NZ'. Each to their own and good luck to all of us - wherever we may be.

Diny

I agree the city centre is a bit like that in places but it's possible to live in Auckland without living in the city.

Depends on where you work too but if you sit and have lunch at the pavement cafes on the Viaduct, look out at the harbour and at the million dollar boats you'll get a feel for what I mean.

It's still possible to have a few acres in Dairy Flat with some sheep and work in the city.

Some places in NZ are great for a holiday, or a weekend away, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Each to his/her own I guess

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast