Thread: Clearing customs

Default Clearing customs

We have booked flights through to Napier. Are there customs facilities in Napier or will we have to collect luggage in Auckland and clear customs there before taking the onward flight?
    There are 7 of us flying via LA with 46K luggage allowance each so it would be wonderful if it were to go right through!!
    Hope someone can help!
    Babscat

You wil need to clear customs in Auckland.

You will arrive into the International terminal and then will have to transfer over to the domestic terminal. Its about a 10 min walk or there is a bus which goes at set times.

My family and I did the walk but we did have some assistance from a helper at the airport. Was not a problem

99.9% sure you will have to clear customs in Auckland. As far as I know Napier is not an international airport.

Tip: My parents learnt this experiences. If you coming from international flight and will catch domestic flight to napier and got over 20kg per person luggage allowance? Warn the domestic flight ahead to inform that you are coming from international flight, so they won't charge you extra kg if you are over 20kg per person.
    Lucky my sister (live in AKL) warned airline ahead on behalf of my parents. They did encounter problems that they got over 20kg each (in fact, 40kg each) and because my sister warned ahead, the information came on the computer mean my parents got away not charge for extra.

Many thanks for helpful replies. We were told when we booked the flights that as we were then booked on to Napier there would be no problem about the vast amount of luggage for the 7 of us. Probably a good idea to contact the airport though to be doubly sure!
    Barbara

Tell the people when you check in for your first flight that you have an onward flight from AKL - they did for us (we flew singapore airlines!) They checked our stuff straight through but you do still have to collect your luggage and clear customs.

Are you flying to Napier with Air NZ? (Also if your first flight is with air NZ and they have allowed the luggage allowance there shouldn't be a problem - but definatly advise them first, if via email keep a copy with your tickets of your email and their response!! - Singapore air and Air NZ are all part of the same group - so there was no problems for our extra luggage we had been allowed an extra 10kg each!)

If so all you need to do when you come out of customs at AKL is turn left and go to the Air NZ check in at the International terminal. (DO NOT TRY AND LUG YOUR BAGS ALL THE WAY TO THE DOMESTIC TERMINAL - NO NEED!!) Check in your bags, then, just outside the main terminal, there is a free shuttle bus that takes you to the domestic terminal. It is a very small terminal so if you have quite a wait it might be worth while having look around the international terminal for a bit before you change over.

When you are in the domestic terminal, they will call your flight for boarding about 10 mins before it is due for take off - be warned they are very small planes!!!! Ours seated only 48 passengers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not my best bit of our journey I have to say!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by marcia; 20th May 2007 at 11:21 AM.

Ooo..and if its a windy day, then the approach to Napier airport can be interesting!

Neil

HI

We did the journey 5 weeks ago from heathrow to napier. We checked in all our luggage at Heathrow, and had all our luggage tagged ready to napier, and boarding passes.

The others are right, re luggage allowance. We left Heathrow over weight badly, 3 of us and 6 cases, of which 4 were over weight, via LA (for extra baggage). They said in Heathrow, they wont let you through in Auckland, as we were starting to worry, as already had to ditch hand luggage there.
    Luckily, Auckland didnt bat an eyelid, as we thought well, its coming with us even if we have to pay for it ----- they didnt charge us a penny!!

The flight to Napier is a very small plane, think about 40ish seats and turbulence can be an experience, but so worth it when you land just by the bay ......

Enjoy !!

Sharon
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by sharon thomas View Post
    HI

We did the journey 5 weeks ago from heathrow to napier. We checked in all our luggage at Heathrow, and had all our luggage tagged ready to napier, and boarding passes.

The others are right, re luggage allowance. We left Heathrow over weight badly, 3 of us and 6 cases, of which 4 were over weight, via LA (for extra baggage). They said in Heathrow, they wont let you through in Auckland, as we were starting to worry, as already had to ditch hand luggage there.
    Luckily, Auckland didnt bat an eyelid, as we thought well, its coming with us even if we have to pay for it ----- they didnt charge us a penny!!

The flight to Napier is a very small plane, think about 40ish seats and turbulence can be an experience, but so worth it when you land just by the bay ......

Enjoy !!

Sharon
    xx
    After all that, didnt mention that customs is only AUckland, you just get off the plane in Napier, walk into the small terminal and the cases are not far behind you......
    Good luck!