Thread: Original marriage certificate or certified photocopy?

Default Original marriage certificate or certified photocopy?

Nearly there with evidence for NZQA but not sure about this;
    'Previously used names' - 'Also include a certified copy of documents showing your change of name eg marriage certificate'

Should I send the original marriage cert. or get a photocopy of it, certified? Surely the original is better?

They really do just want a certified photocopy. Hang on to your original.

You can order a certified copy online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

They cost £7 which is cheaper than getting a notary to certify it for you, I think.

I took mine to a local solicitor and he did it for nothing. Worth a try as the most I was charged for a few certified copies was £5.

Thank you all, did ask in local Nationwide as I'm sure I'd read they do it for free but no luck, so we're racking our brains to see if we know a friendly solicitor and will try them...

If you know any JPs they wil do it for free. You wil be suprised how many there are around the place.

Also the certified copy from the government web site is good value and very quick. You could also pick one up from your ocal registry office, or the office local to where you were married, this took less than a week for us.

I just rang up my local (in UK) solicitor that I never used it before and they were happy to do it for free if you did photocopy beforehand somewhere else
    Same for JP, if you look up for your local JP, and they also do it for free, again if you did photocopy beforehand as they don't have photocopy at home.