Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Nursing Council

Default New Zealand Nursing Council

I am in the process of gatrhering the info needed to apply for my registration. I am a little concerned that they ask for all the information from other sources to be sent directly to them ie. references, confirmation from the NMC & course details. How can they tie all these bits of information together as they will undoubtedly be sent at different times? Has anyone had any experience of this?

Hiya,

I was in ur position a few mthys ago, I applied for my reg from UK in Jan 07, my experience was straight forward. Everyone must have sent the req'd info asap cos I got my certificate early March I recall. U could always add a quick cover note to ur request forms etc askin for prompt service due to ur imminent move?

While I remember in NZ you not only have to pay for registration u also have to pay an annual fee just to be able to practice!!

Good luck, any Q's just ask Amanda

Thanks Amanda, I had heard it takes about 6 months to get your registration - yours was really quick.

One question you may be able to answer for me - with the police check they ask for, they stipulate that it must not be your local force but the national force. Is this the Met or will the County force be OK?

Ours was actually fairly quick. We had planned to be in NZ by November but were advised we wouldn't get the NZNC through by then. As it was, we did so it must have been about 3 months. The trick I think is to chase up those bits of paperwork and bed people! Good luck

We got our police checks from the local force (it costs £10 because it's done under the freedom of info act apparently) but they send it up to the Met anyway. You may as well cut out the middle man and send it direct to the Met address on the site. All we wrote on it apart from name address etc was that it was for an immigration visa. It's nothing like the CRB check. Quite a boring piece of paper really.

I just applied to my local force as I did for my visa app, didnt know I was meant to do it thru met????? I do know however that they wont accept photocopies, hence I ended up gettin 2 one for NZNC 1 for Visa, just usefull info for anyone else applyin in future send off for police check in plenty time as they can take up to 40days.

I applied in Jan and one of my referees forgot to date the reference and my school of nursing (which i had to search for the records as it no longer exists) hadnt replied. The NZ council wrote to me to let me know and i nagged the referee to repeat send the reference and phoned the holders of my training record. Its a mystery where the first request went as the guy said he hadn't seen it but as it was a different name to the person i had spoken to before i guess it may have ended up in the bin!!! Any way they sent the stuff off and sent me a copy which was good and my NZ reg cert appeared at the end of March - so not too long at all.

I now have a job offer and so am getting the police check repeated (!) medicals booked and the EOI ready to rumble. The phone interview was a bit daunting but the guys seem really nice so it's Christchurch here we go....... x

Clare
    Last edited by benandclare; 29th May 2007 at 10:32 AM.

I also got Police check via local force, NZ nursing certificate was back to me within 12 weeks, as mentioned previously you do pay $96 annually but most employers will reimburse this.

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post

I now have a job offer and so am getting the police check repeated (!) medicals booked and the EOI ready to rumble. The phone interview was a bit daunting but the guys seem really nice so it's Christchurch here we go....... x

Clare
    Well done on the job offer. Did you apply through an agency or directly to the DHB? I have contacted both agency and DHB's and can't decide which route to take. What kind of things did they ask in the interview and have you been offered any kind of relocoation package?

Default Relocation package for DHBs

If you do get a job with one of the DHBs then you can get some 'relocation' benefits, Unfortunaltely I can't tell you whether this is provided through the agents or the DHBs themselves (we used an agent).

In our case, they arranged suitable hotel accomodation for the four of us for the first four weeks and more importantly paid for it.

Since being here, have heard of others getting different 'packages' e.g. one weeks accomodation + one weeks car hire, or the flights paid for etc.

Not sure how any of this is worked out but might be related to the number of people in your party.

As they say if you don't ask you don't get.

And as mentioned above, don't forget to claim back your practising certificate costs once you are here.

HTH
    Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast