Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Whipping Cream!!!!!!!

Default Help - Whipping Cream!!!!!!!

Ok all you cooks out there - i need a bit of help!

What do you over here in NZ for a recipe that needs whipping cream??

In fact is there really only the two sorts of 'fresh' cream here? Or am I looking in the wrong place? I have asked the shop assistants but they look at me stupid when I asked about whipping cream!!

All I can find is the tins of squirting cream, or a plastic bottle that says cream, which is very runny stuff, and looks doubtful if it would ever get whipped up to be light and fluffy??!!

Anyone

Sorry I can't help, I've had the same trouble. I tried a tub of thickened cream I found and it was gross, even the kids didn't like it. It was like cream thickened with corn starch. The bottle stuff does whip up to a soft peak but not like the thick whipped cream I'm used to.
    Let me know if you find the answer.
    Debbie

Marcia, just went through an old thread, as I remember this discussion before, this is what Anchor had to say

"Thank you for your email regarding Double Cream. The Anchor
    Cream is an extra thick cream for whipping and is the equivalent to the
    double cream you have in the UK. We also have a thickened cream.
    Recently we deleted the single cream from our range due to poor demand.
    So just buy the standard stuff and whip it! works fine apparently!

I use just the cream. Takes a bit longer to whip but works fine, tend to use a the kenwood mixer for it Used it on every pavlova I've done to great success

You can also try adding a little bit of sugar to the cream before whisking, just not too much.

Yep, you use the runny stuff. It takes a while to whip but it's delicious and fresh. The quickest way is to use an electric...what do you call it? An electric whisk? Mixer? Well, anyway, you get the point I'm sure. When I was a kid we had this shaker thing made by Tupperware and you would pour the cream into the cup, put cartwheel looking thing at the top of the cup, then put the lid on. You would shake and shake and shake and shake until the liquid cream went thick.

Good luck and have fun!
    Carly

Quote Originally Posted by movefromus View Post
    shaker thing made by Tupperware and you would pour the cream into the cup, put cartwheel looking thing at the top of the cup, then put the lid on. You would shake and shake and shake and shake until the liquid cream went thick.
    Carly
    We had one of those! ever made whipped cream though, Mom used it for salad dressing and diet shakes...
    Ana

Whip a standard pottle of cream - add the tiniest pinch of salt and it will whip quicker, and you won't taste it (although I always sugar my whipped cream which may cancel the salt out lol)

I still get confused in UK supermarkets about what cream to use for what - I don't use it very often, but I'd rather have a standard cream to use for everything. I guess old habits die very hard

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
    Marcia, just went through an old thread, as I remember this discussion before, this is what Anchor had to say

So just buy the standard stuff and whip it! works fine apparently!
    According to 'Beach, Bach, Boat, Barbecue' book in their list of ingredients/conversions from NZ, European & US, standard cream from the shops is the equivalent of UK whipping cream - I've used it to whip & its absolutely fine.

Thanks guys - will now have to go and buy some of the runny stuff - so i can make Kev's once a year treat (usually do it for his birthday/xmas day - but not organised this year as you can imagine!)

Triple chocolate cream pie!!!

Its very very rich, all three sorts of chocolate in it, Dark, Milk and white, and a chocolate digestive biscuit base (will have to adapt that!!)

Let you know how it turns out in due course!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast