Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gisborne.....

Default Gisborne.....

Hello everybod peeps

Having looked at the NZ weather reports on a regular basis over the past 6 months, I am thinking that Gisborne seems to get lots of sunshine? I have read that it is meant to be the 'sunniest' place in NZ.

Is this true And I would welcome anyones thoughts on what it is like to visit/live there. We are planning to visit Feb 08 when we are on our recce, so any info we can get beforehand would be a HUGE bonus!

Cheers

Liam n Rach

Fab beach, good for body boarding, fantastic ice cream shop , playground, clean toilets and showers right by beach. Town seemed fine when we drove through on way to main beach. Can't really comment apart from that. But we liked it, although wondered if big enough for us with kids nearing teenage.

Gisborne is indeed very sunny and doubtless a pleasant place to live BUT it's small and very isolated so if that concerns you than there are other areas almost as sunny but less isolated (Hawkes Bay, Bay of Plenty, Northland and very north of South Island (Nelson etc).

I agree with Lupin,

North island Russell,
    Bay of Plenty Tauranga
    and of course Nelson in the south..

spent one night in Gizzy. Was busy with school stuff. It is isolated and small, though a nice enough town. I wouldnt ever want to live there. At least here in Rotorua you can get to Taupo or Tauranga in less than an hour.

Default Honesty....I love it!

Cheers guys

It's nice to see such honesty about a place. We will indeed visit there in Feb next year and make an assessment then. But, and it is a BIG but, we are not really looking for such isolation. Peace and quiet, yes, but we would still like to be close enough to civilisation so as not to feel isolated....

So, I think we will cross this location off our list of possibles.

Thanks

Liam n Rach

Default Sunny Gisborne

We moved here last Sept and It was the best move.
    Yes it does take 3 hours to drive to Napier, Thames 5 hours but we do have an airport and you can be in Auckland in 55 minutes.
    The thing is why worry about being able to get to the next big town? we have everything you need here, shops, schools, a hospital some of the best beaches that are fantastic for surfing, great fishing. We even have restaurants.
    It's a small very friendly town and if you decide to have a look let us know and we would love to show you around our home town.

Oh and the ice cream shop at Waikanae beach is fantastic the fish and chips are pretty good from there to.

Oh forgot to say we spent a very nice afternoon on the beach yesterday it was around 20 degrees, not bad for the middle of winter. I take our boys to the beach most afternoons after school they love it. (so do I)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Russell & Sharon View Post
    We moved here last Sept and It was the best move.
    Yes it does take 3 hours to drive to Napier, Thames 5 hours but we do have an airport and you can be in Auckland in 55 minutes.
    The thing is why worry about being able to get to the next big town? we have everything you need here, shops, schools, a hospital some of the best beaches that are fantastic for surfing, great fishing. We even have restaurants.
    It's a small very friendly town and if you decide to have a look let us know and we would love to show you around our home town.

Oh and the ice cream shop at Waikanae beach is fantastic the fish and chips are pretty good from there to.
    Cheers Russell & Sharon

Thanks for the info. If we venture in and around Gisborne on our recce trip in Feb 08, we shall indeed give you a shout! What a lovely offer!

Fan Q

Liam n Rach

Default Gisborne

Gisborne is beautiful, but then I suppose so is all of NZ. It is definately the sunshine coast area, and seems to have a weather pattern all of it's own. My sister and her family live there (together with a lot of my brother-in-laws family), and we have spent an amount of time there too.
    If you want a contact for the area, you could do worse !!
    We would love to base ourselves there, but I think I might struggle with work to start with - It is a bit isolated.

Hope this helps

Piers
    Last edited by Piers Johnston; 10th July 2007 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast