Thread: What to purchase in UK before leaving?

Default What to purchase in UK before leaving?

I keep thinking that given the cost of living in NZ that it would be wise for OH & I to make a few purchases here in the UK and ship stuff over rather than buy once we get to Auckland.

We are already seriously considering purchasing a front loader washing machine as our current one is old and will soon need replacing. Should we bring our near top of the range, 4 yr old Bosch dishwasher? We could do with a new mattress for our kingsize bed (now 10yrs old) are they expensive in NZ?

Hopefully we'll purchase a home not too long after arriving (3 - 6mths) so will we be able to get all those things you suddenly realise you need for a new house - curtain rails/poles, curtains, lampshades etc? If we can get them will they be horribly expensive or should we bring what we can with us?

I guess what I'm asking is: If you could have afforded to do so what would you have purchase here and taken with you?

Thanks everyone,
    Anneliese

Hi there, there's another thread about this on one of the other boards: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11574

I'm having exactly the same thoughts as you re what to buy.

If you are bringing a container load of stuff anyway then yes, buy and bring a new washer as you will save £150 (ish) on the price of a front loader - don't get me started on top loaders - they are rubbish imho.

The are wide choices for beds and mattresses and although they can more expensive that the UK for a good one, I don't think that they are overpriced for what you get. Having said that, we never paid less than £1,000 for a bed in the UK, so it's all a matter of personal choice.

We brought our Bosch dishwasher (and yes you can get them here) but it's still in the laundry unused. That's because all (or most) houses whether for sale or for rent have a cooker and a dishwasher fitted as standard. Although the dishwasher in the house is adequate, I would prefer to fit my Bosch, but we are renting at the moment so I cant.

I had a top of the range, all singing, all dancing Belling double oven cooker in the UK and I miss it. However, even if I had brought it with us it would be stored away with the dishwasher !!

I wouldn't worry about curtain poles or drapes even though drapes can be an extortionate price usually because they are thermal lined, but how big are the windows going to be in your NZ house ??

Everything you'll ever want or need relating to household goods are available here to purchase, but as I say it's all a matter of personal choice.

We brought over a container load of goodies and if I had my time to do again, I would just have brought my personal, sentimental bits and bobs and bought new over here, but there are others on this forum that disagree.

Put simply, if you're bringing a container load anyway you may as well fill it.

Julie

xx

We worked ont he basis that the cost to replace our 2 leather settee and HI Fi and TV paid for the 20ft container. We decluttered loads. We are moving into our own house now and still decluttering!!

None of our drapes fit the new house. All elec appliances bring as more expensive. anything you have always wanted electrical but never bought, get it before you come over.
    give you and idea on avail and price

http://www.lvmartin.co.nz/public/pro...vel1code=L1KIT

You can get everything here maybe a little more expensive. If you are coming and moving into rented before your stuff arrives you will need to buy a mattress or sleep on the floor, worth considering. We also bought a new microwave when we arrived and 42"plasma TV (OH) and new DVD player as could not live without those before our stuff arrived 4 weeks later.

well i didnt realise how hot it would be in auckland so only really packed winter clothes (i had to buy cheapest $20 trainers,white polo shirt,sports socks in order to start my tennis season again)
    i did buy a business suit from M+S which was lucky as i got a temp job here after one week
    basic message from posts is that you buy stuff you need in uk as more expensive in nz for most items by around say 25% mark (except used cars)
    shoes and books are most obvious expensive items-wish i hadnt skipped a load/sold cheaply before coming- could have resold on trade me!
    basically pack as much into container without breaking maf regulations
    (good quality branded tennis shoes are $150-$200 here (about 50% more expensive) - so i definitley wished i had bought a few "extra" pairs with me to sell on)

Hiya,

I'd always wanted a huge retro Smeg fridge ferezer. I got the model I wanted priced up in Auckland and it was going to be $6k !!!!!

Guess what got bought and loaded into the conatiner...a mere snip at £1200

Unfortunately, we're STILL in a rental, so it's still in storage downstairs in the garage

Milliemoo

For me, I wish I packed in shipping container is baby biscuits!!! my children missed baby biscuits that you can't get it in NZ apart from one simple rusk biscuits that my ds find it "yukky"!!!
    Also if you got any young children? pack next few years pack of pants, vest, bodysuit etc like pack of 7 in Tesco as here is either very expensive or hard to get hold of...I am having trouble to find pants for 4 years old boy!!!!!!! seem either sold out everywhere I go or companies think there is not enough 4 years to keep in stock! When I did eventually found pants pack for my son, it turn out too big because all pants pack came in size of "4 to 6 years old". So think ahead about of packing children's and adult's clothing like good old M+S underwears

YES YES YES to everything - buy it all. WISH we had bought a lovely front loading washing machine with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    YES YES YES to everything - buy it all. WISH we had bought a lovely front loading washing machine with us.
    washing machine still bother you, how did you get on with 'the one you hate'??? Manage to sell on trademe yet??? I spotted good collection of washing machine front loader at Harvey Norman, have you got this shop in auckland?