Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surrounding areas of Dunedin

Default Surrounding areas of Dunedin

We are now considering Otago as a possible location and in particular the Dunedin area. We do not want to live in Dunedin but maybe somewhere smaller - with a population of 10,000 or less but within driving distance of Dunedin. Any suggestions?

The only place of about 10,000 that's close enough to commute is Mosgiel - it's on the hill south of Dunedin and is just off the main road in about 10 miles from the city centre.

Oamaru has about 12,000 but is 75 miles away. Alexandra is about the same in distance, but it's a much slower road and isn't considered commutable.

Milton's about 30 mins drive, but would only have maybe a couple of thousand people and Brighton is a gorgeous wee seeside town south of Dunedin, but only about 1,000 and about 20 mins away.

Waikouwaiti is the next biggest place north - about 1,000 people and about 20 miles away maybe.

There are communities like Port Chalmers out on the penisula but then again you're only looking at 3,000 - but beautiful scenery.

The roads in Otago aren't as good for commuting as in the UK - single lane each way and a lot of hills, dips and sweeping curves that don't always give overtaking opportunities.

Is there any reason why you've ruled out Dunedin itself? You can get lifestyle blocks pretty reasonably around the edges and still be 15-20 mins drive of the city centre for shopping and work.

I'd be interested in hearing why you're not interested in Dunedin itself, as well. Haven't been but it looks like it'll be the area we get started in once we arrive.

I'm looking at attending midwifery or medical school on arrival and Dunedin seems to have an outstanding program and cost of living is far less than Auckland.

Just not city folks? Or is it Dunedin as a city that you're wanting to stay away from?

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    I'm looking at attending midwifery or medical school on arrival and Dunedin seems to have an outstanding program and cost of living is far less than Auckland.
    If it's med school training then Otago is very highly recommended - I've got several cousins who went through there and are all successful doctors now.

We may end up in Dunedin too (despite my love of Invercargill) because it would offer more for my OH.

At this rate we'll have enough folk for a meal out and a comparison of "how weird is that!" stories

Cos we live in a very large town where our neighbours are looking into the kitchen window all the time and it is sooo busy with people and traffic we really want to move somewhere that has a slower pace of life and not so many people. I know that in most of NZ property is not as close to each other as it is in the UK but we just want to get away from the big town and city life. Neither of us are party animals - too old now - and we just enjoy walking, relaxing at home and we only go into the town centre if we absolutely have to.

We have decided the South Island is for us due to the scenery, smaller population and lower house prices. I really want to work for Otago DHB - they seem to look after their staff and offer a number of training opportunities and lots of support - hence Dunedin. However we realise that when we first make the move we may have to live inrental possibly in Dunedin and this may cause us to change our minds - who knows!!

If you want to be a bit out of the way, I'd suggest looking for an initial rental in somewhere like Ravensbourne or St Leonards or Sawyer's Bay on the road towards Port Chalmers. They've got lots of green and hills around them with good sea views, and are on the hospital side of the harbour. Dunedin isn't that big and bustling - certainly not compared to the UK and with many houses having a quarter-acre section you have a better chance of finding something that's not going to be over looked.

But I'd suggest you look for an initial base in one of the three places above and then use the weekends to drive around and see the sort of spot you'd be most happy in.

wiki,

what do you know about schools in the neighborhoods you recc'd to rent in in Dunedin? I have a child who'll be nine by the time we arrive and am hoping to find an outstanding, perhaps even a progressive education, school for her...

I'm happy to hear about the larger lots in Dunedin. My current home is on a larger urban lot and it's been hard preparing to leave my little farm in the city (chickens, fruit trees in full production this year for the first year and berry bushes heavy with blueberries and gooseberries, maturing perennial gardens...)
    Last edited by migratory birds; 30th May 2007 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add'n

I would recommend the Otago Peninsula - we've been living in Macandrew Bay for a year and half now and it's great - also gets more sun than the Port Chalmers side of the harbour and is much more picturesque (IMHO). Mac Bay is about 15 minutes drive from town, easily commutable, has a primary school etc. Portobello is a bit further out - maybe 30 minutes. Both these communities have primary schools, dairy / general store, and a couple of cafes / bars. Broad Bay is a smaller community on the OP that is actively encouraging families with school age children to move there - offering support families, welcome packs with info about renting etc. The Peninsula is great to live on - excellent beaches on the southern side, good cycling and walking etc. Housing is not particularly cheap compared to the rest of Dunedin but TBH I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in Dunners now. Mosgiel is bigger, but not my cup of tea. Flat, agricultural, boring (Sorry!) and lots of gaudy McMansions springing up on the surrounding hills.

I do agree about Mosgiel - not my cup of tea but it's the nearest "town" to Dunedin, although most people consider it part of Dunedin in its own right.

My only experience of schools in Dunedin are the ones my nephew and niece went to which are down on the flat in St Claire... if anyone wants to know then they can PM me, but you'd need to want to live in St Claire, or maybe St Kilda for those to be of use - houses are pricy down there because it's so close to the beach.

Ruthyroo, I'd probably consider McAndrew Bay my top location too, but I thought Ravensbourne side is a bit more rugged and back-woody.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki View Post
    Ruthyroo, I'd probably consider McAndrew Bay my top location too, but I thought Ravensbourne side is a bit more rugged and back-woody.

You're probably right - it does border on more farming / small holding type areas but is also more run down and less attractive (IMHO). But I suspect land prices would be cheaper over there if the OP is looking to buy a bigger plot. The Peninsula, like lots of Dunedin, does have large enough sections to have veggie plots / chickens etc - we could certainly do with a goat / sheep or two to keep the grass down on ours!

OP, TBH I would wait and see when you get here. Coming from the UK you will likely find that Dunedin is very low key and doesn't feel at all like a city. There are places where the houses are a bit more on top of each other e.g. St Clair, South Dunedin, St Kilda are quite intensive, as are the studenty areas (where you really don't want to live) and the centre City. But most of the burbs have a relatively spacious feel to them. If you really want a lot of space then you might also want to check out places like Warrington, Karitane, Waikouaiti to the North and Brighton, Waldronville, Ocean View to the south.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast