Thread: IT Salary Negotiation

Default Salary Negoitation

Having worked in local goverment for 20 years where the salary scales and increments were fixed the idea of negoitating a salary is a little daunting. Can any one offer any advice? I will be working in IT as a microsoft system engineer .

TIA

DJNinNZ (Duncan)

-------------------------------------------------
    Time line with no job offer:
    EOI Nov05, ITA Dec05, App submitted Mar06
    Residency visa approved Nov06.
    Landing in NZ Sept07
    -------------------------------------------------

Just spoke to hubby, he is MCSE certified (amongst other things!) as well, and reckons at an average level, $75-80k, if you are very good maybe as high as $90, this is based on the Auckland market.

Ask them to make you an offer then come back with 3k more than they offer.
    If they say we usually start engineers on X, you say that's ok for a junior engineer but I have X years experience of XYZ and want 4k more than that. (got the idea)

Also I get 2k increment per year. If I don't get it I leave and find someone who will pay me the money I want.
    Last edited by MattA; 31st May 2007 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattA View Post
    Also I get 2k increment per year. If I don't get it I leave and find someone who will pay me the money I want.
    Not directed at MattA - it is perhaps wise to remember that time served does not equate to an automatically increased salary - people are paid for their worth & contribution to a company and usually at a comparative level across their sector. Also, too many job moves on a CV doesn't make for good reading and unless offering prized skills, won't make the interview stage with me at least.

David.

nobody will offer fixed salary increases. and anyone who said that to me at interview would be crossed right off the list.

if you can get them to make you an offer then coming back wih a higher one is always a good idea though - although to be fair you normally have to set out your salary expectations first making that quite hard.

if you are going to be in wellington then join the wellies IT expats group - lots of people to talk to about salaries, jobs, agencies etc.

Hi Everyone,

I have yet another telephone interview, this time with Wellington City Council - the day after the telephone interview with Auckland City Council - and I wonder how different the salary levels may be...???

I need to know if salary levels can be negotiated easily with Local Government, as they have incremental pay scales?

This then possibly goes back to the age old question on Location, Location, Location...Auckland or Wellington?...but that is for another thread.

The Boss at Wellington is English, he is from Southampton. I have spoken to him on the phone as an 'informal chat'... He actually knows the people I am currently working with...not sure if that is a good thing or not. But after the chat I was asked to interview !!!

So fingers crossed !

My friend here has just been assigned to Wellington City counci she is a PM and loves it there. She was working on another high profile project in Government and hated it. Depends who your boss is. And yes payscales can be moved if they really want to go to Senior for example to get to the next level. Had it happen with a Tester went to senior tester for extra 7k

Good luck.