Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gymnasiums.....Hamilton

Default Gymnasiums.....

Can anybody help me with what sort of costs we can expect to pay to join a good gym for hubby and I when we get there? Are there any recommendations for a gym to join in Hamilton?

Hi Nattie

Good question, we are doing a reccie on Hamilton in Jan, so if any stand out will let you know.

CC

Default gymnasiums

Thanks - that would be great - have tried to e-mail a few and have had no response....

Can anybody out there help me with some guidance to gyms in NZ? Just want to know what they are like and what we could expect to pay - c'mon, someone must know!! :hopeso

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Gyms are about $200 - 400 NZ for a years membership. Most are well equipped and run, as the old fly-by-night outfits have pretty much ceased to exist.

The biggest and most well known gym chain in Les Mills. They have branches in most major cities.

For the ladies there is Contours. It's *only* for women, so you don't need to worry about the guys giving you the eye!

Here's an online gym listing website. The navigation is a bit odd, but it is fairly helpful.

Thanks - this is great info - will have a look online too! :

Quote Originally Posted by nattie
    Thanks - this is great info - will have a look online too! :
    No problem!

What's with everyones interest in gyms, is it because you're wanting to get in shape for being seen on the beach? :mrgreen:

No-one else has expressed an interest - that's the alarming part! But, me.. definitely want to shake off the post Christmas celebrations!!! :

No-one else has expressed an interest - that's the alarming part! But, me.. definitely want to shake off the post Christmas celebrations!!! :

^ You're not the only one! :mrgreen:

'Bikini syndrome' hits hard
    14 January 2005
    By LOUISE BLEAKLEY

"Bikini syndrome" has hit hard this year, with Christchurch health and fitness centres reporting a mad, resolution-inspired rush to get fit.

"This year is something of a phenomena that I've not seen the like of in a long time," said Les Mills gym co-owner Cathy White.

She said the number of new members since January 1 was 40 per cent higher than the same time last year.

Queen ELizabeth II Park business and programmes manager Brett Young said this year's increase - known in the industry as the "bikini syndrome" - was comparable with last year, when membership jumped from 253 in December to 404 in January.

Pilates attendance continued to increase at the expense of aerobics, he said. "People are getting sick of it (aerobics). They are going back to simpler classes."

In November last year, pilates class attendance was 664, compared with 390 in November 2003.

Weight Watchers public relations manager Karen Church said people were no longer waiting until the end of the holidays to investigate ways of losing weight. "Now it seems January is our busiest time."

White said the New Year resolution was a catalyst for people who wanted to get fit. She said higher numbers of people were interested in replacing smoking with exercise. "People are using it (exercise) to stop smoking. There's a health message that's out there driven by government that's forcing people to think about their lifestyle."

A spokeswoman for Jenny Craig said the weight-loss clinic attracted more image-conscious younger women in summer months.

"It's about looking good at this time of year. Now our advertisements are definitely focused on getting a great body."

Contours owner Diane Blakely said the weather had probably prompted the early rush to the gyms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast