Thread: Is 3 months timeframe enough?

Default Is 3 months timeframe enough?

Hi all

We need to apply with a job offer. When asked by the prospective employer how long will it take us to relocate , is 3 months enough time to submit the application for immigration & receive WP & PR.

Urgent reply please.

Glo

I think PR may be a big ask but you can start the progress and finish it off when in NZ, I may be wrong though. The WP should be easy enough to get though, this is a quick process I believe, may be wrong but I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would imagine a lot of teachers do it this way.

I did it in 3 months. It was very hard work though. Stressful too.

yes but only just-all of your paperwork has to be spot on first time+ a bit of badgering of officials stating when your job is to commence will help speed things up.
    i would get police checks done asap,book medicals,get full birth certificates etc sooner rather than later-as soon as possible after EOI submitted assuming you have the the right number of points for automatic selection
    go for it!

Expressions of interest with job offers are fast tracked, but as someone else said you need to be organised with all the paperwork ready to go straight away.

Also if you have a house to sell, this could hold the process up, (unless you are prepared to go before you get the sale sorted - which is what we ended up doing!)

What you may get if your application is accepted is PR with a section 18A condition. This is nothing to worry about, all it means is you have to take up the job within a set time of arriving in the country (can't remember exactly how long sorry) then work for a minimum of 3 months for the company. You then have to send in proof of this along with your passports and the section 18A condition is removed and you havew 'normal' PR. Not hard to do really at all.

Good luck.

Yes, it should be long enough as long as there's not problems with your paperwork. Here's what we are planning on doing (I have already checked with the NZ immigration about it first):

We are applying for a work visa (has to be visa if you apply while outside NZ) and PR for my husband at the same time in the US. Once we receive the work visa we'll travel to New Zealand and have the PR application stuff transferred over.

Police checks can take a while so if you want to move quicker I would suggest this:
    *Apply for a work visa that allows you to stay in NZ for under one year. *According to changes made fairly recently you will not need to wait for a police check nor will you need any medicals done before you apply as long as the visa is under one year long (unless you are from a country with a higher incidence of TB - then you need a chest x-ray done).
    *Still send off for your police check but have them send it to a NZ address if it's going to take longer to get it than the amount of time you have left in your home country.
    *Get your medicals done either before you leave (while waiting for the work visa to be processed) or once you're in New Zealand.
    *In New Zealand apply for your PR asap and it should be processed before your 11 month work visa expires.

If you have children this may not work as you can't put your children on the work visa. You'd have to ask immigration what to do about that.

Send a quick email to NZ immigration just to check your plans are fine. They'll get back to you within 3 business days (we've sent them a couple of emails and they're great about answering).

Carly

Alternately, you could apply as visitors as we did and apply for a WP once you arrive.

We arrived 29th August. WP granted end of Sept. Started work 9th October. Applied for PR and was granted it 18 November.

All our paper work was spot on though - search threads by Hannah as she was helpful in supplying details of what was needed.

Good luck!"

Nanny x

I'd suggest getting a work permit then applying for PR over there.
    Getting a police certificate takes 40 days alone! get one today!
    selling a house will at least take that long as well.

Also if you are teachers (as one of the posts above suggested) you will need time to get your NZQA assessment done and to register with the NZTC before you can apply for a WP or PR. We got caught out by the latter as applications are only considered once every 6 weeks - so if you miss a meeting of the TC you have to wait at least 6 weeks for another one - and ended up travelling here as Visitors then applying in person at NZIS once we arrived. Also your paperwork does have to be absolutely spot on to get your WP issued on the spot.

Good luck

Hi

Thks for all yr replies. will let you know as we progress.

We are trying all & every possibilities and we hope to find a way.

cheers

glo