Thread: Teaching Jobs - Agencies & How, What, When & Where

Default Teaching Jobs - Agencies & How, What, When & Where

Hi Everyone

I've looked over a few of the previous posts with regards to the above topics but haven't found any answers to my specific questions so I do hope I'm not just repeating questions that have been rehashed several times (sorry if I am).

We are just about to submit our ITA with no job but thought it would be better to get a job before we arrive in NZ so that we know we have some sort of financial security upon arrival.

Is is common to get a job before you arrive in NZ without ever meeting your employer or will I need to fly over for interviews etc? Happy to do this but obviously better not to as the cost is crippling.

Did anyone use any Teacher recruitment agencies and if so, can you recommend anyone and did you have success with them?

Can you apply directly to schools? Are they iffy about you not having perm residence yet or are they happy to just know that you have submitted your ITA?

If we get a job when would I be expected to start? What is the norm? We haven't actually got an arrival date yet but if we get a job then we'll obviously speed things up a bit and get over there as quickly as possible but it will probably still take 3 or 4 months to get everything sorted.

I would be most grateful for any answers or advice that anyone can give me.

Thanks for your continued help and support everyone

K

Oh, forgot to mention above too - where are most of the Teaching jobs - someone said Auckland? Is that my best bet for finding a job? Or are there other areas where there is a demand. Geography is my main subject.

I'm still figuring out this process, too, so I'll be watching this thread.

The single most helpful site I've been directed to for teaching jobs is
    the Education Gazette:
    http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/

I check it daily--it updates jobs available in all of NZ daily. You can check by region/city and by school type (elementary or secondary, for example). Each ad has a link to the school's info--decile rating, website if they have one, etc. Each ad always tells who to contact for application--usually principal's email address.

Check it out--you'll be impressed as it is "one stop shopping" in my opinion for a teaching job. I click on "jobs available in the last 48 hours" for updates that are added. Note, too, that this is a government website, so reliable source of info.

Christine

PS--

Start dates are often negotiable. For example, some ads now say "job to commence third term (July 16) or as soon as possible" meaning, to me, that if you cannot start until Aug 1, they might consider that. Keep in mind there is a huge shortage of teachers in NZ, so they are happy to have qualified candidates to negotiate with.

I recommend getting in touch with the agency Oasis Education. I registered with them last year and they did a lot of the donkey work passing my CV around and matching my experience to suitable vacancies. I got a job as a second in dept at a nice semi-rural school within a few weeks. The interview process took place over the phone and was very informal.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam'n'Kelv View Post
    I recommend getting in touch with the agency Oasis Education. I registered with them last year and they did a lot of the donkey work passing my CV around and matching my experience to suitable vacancies. I got a job as a second in dept at a nice semi-rural school within a few weeks. The interview process took place over the phone and was very informal.

Best of luck.
    I second this, but in addition to this they also arrange for you to meet head teachers in this country (UK) as they fly over and do interviews, it's probably the best way of getting a job from this end. My partner has already had an interview so I know this defo happens.

I think the answers to most of your questions is - "it depends on the school". As schools are independent here i.e. not local authority, each school is free to set its own recruitment proceedures. Some schools, especially the bigger, more well-to-do ones in main cities that don't generally have problems recruiting staff as they are seen as desirable places to work will want to meet candidates before they employ them and be more picky. Other ones, maybe in poorer areas with more challenging students, with existing recruitment and staff retention problems, are more likely to take a chance and employ from a phone interview and less likely to use agencies. In some schools the principals will be fairly laid back, in others they will be control freaks!

My advice would be, if you don't have a specific area in mind, cast your net far and wide and use both agencies and applying directly. Or speak to the agency - they should tell you about the process. Mr Rr is also a geography teacher. His first job in NZ was definitely in the latter category above - the school was in a really poor area, very challenging students, and the position had been essentially unfilled for several years. He got the job after a couple of phone calls - not even a formal interview. Of course we knew none of the history of the school / position when we applied - it soon became very very clear why the principal was so keen on him taking the job sight unseen - no other mug in NZ would touch it with a barge pole! I guess the moral of that tale is don't just take any job to get here - unless you are willing to live with the consequences, even for a short time!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruthyroo View Post
    Some schools, especially the bigger, more well-to-do ones in main cities that don't generally have problems recruiting staff as they are seen as desirable places to work will want to meet candidates before they employ them and be more picky. Other ones, maybe in poorer areas with more challenging students, with existing recruitment and staff retention problems, are more likely to take a chance and employ from a phone interview and less likely to use agencies.

Tentun, this is good advice but not a universal truth. There are plenty of jobs in good schools, with pleasant pupils, that can be secured via agencies over the phone. Do some research (the EDUCATION REVIEW OFFICE is particularly helpful) and be selective.

I have handed in my notice at my school (leaving in 3 and a half weeks). They have had NO experienced teachers apply so will need to hire a beginning teacher (with no experience) instead of the experienced teacher they were seeking. The school is a multicultural Auckland school if anyone is looking for a job! There are currently two available jobs...