Thread: Kiwi Ora Course

Default Kiwi Ora Course

I did try to search for old threads about this - but looking for 'kiwi' is a nightmare and 'ora' is too short apparently!

Anyway, I've just received my certificate that I've passed the course.

It will be sad to see it go. Although the course was quite simple as it was aimed at everyone, including those for whom English was a second language, the information you got with it was brilliant.

Everything from an Atlas to an Edmonds Cook Book to the great Frontier of Dreams book.

Anyone else done/doing it?

Cheers

Tia

No, but I want to. Sounds like a great way to learn! How did you get started and what did it entail?

Thanks,
    Christine

i got told it was discontinuing, I had a business card of one of the girld - all emails bounced - I got an ace dvd free from her - I left it at my MILS so she could see why we wanted to go

Kat

Yes I thought it was discontinuing too... that's what they told me when I asked about it almost a year ago. But it looks like they may still be around... Just checked their web site and it says this:

We are unable to accept any new enrolments into the Kiwi Ora programme in 2007. However we would encourage you to check our site regularly for any further updates on our status.

Congrats Tia Maria - it looked like a great opportunity.
    Last edited by jess; 8th June 2007 at 05:34 PM.

My understanding was that it was closing down, here's part of an email I received while doing the course back in November:

It is with a deep regret that I must inform you all that Kiwi Ora has closed down in the last few days. This has come about due to lack of commitment and support from the government. This announcement has come as a huge shock to us all as we had no idea that this was about to happen.

The company will ensure that all students currently on the programme will be supported through the rest of their studies until completion.

You will all be contacted in the next few days by Su Cullen the owner of Kiwi Ora, and she will advise you what her plans are.

I am deeply sorry about this and I feel like I am personally letting you all down.

I wish you all and your families the very best for your future here in New Zealand

I hope Kiwi Ora and I have helped in a small way to your settlement and I hope you all make a great life here.
    They were a nice bunch and would phone to see how the course/settling in was going. They allowed me to extend one of my deadlines as it was due the same time as the baby!

It does look from the link Jess has given that they may try to start it up again. So probably worth checking the website every now and then if you're interested.

CJChris - I just joined via their website and had to show proof of my visa and register as a student. It came in 3 parts covering everything from banking to history. I found the written part very easy and sometimes a bit dull as you might be writing out, for instance, what various NZ banking terms mean. Obviously as I came from the UK this was already familiar to me.

But I did find the bits about history/culture/government interesting. There were also useful bits like how to write a CV or an explanation of the driving rules. In essence it covered all things 'kiwi'.

The real benefit came from the study aids they gave you with the course. The Frontier of Dreams book would cost $80, the Edmonds Cook Book about $20 and quite a few others also. All very interesting and helpful.

So if you get the chance to do it, I would, its not difficult and you get to learn about NZ.

Cheers

Tia

From the 1st of Jan this year the NZ Government added additional restrictions for funding courses offered by private organisations to 'improve the quality and access of quality education programmes in NZ'.

This has resulted in many education providers either closing or downsizing and by the sound of it Kiwi Ora was unfortunately one of those affected.

Shawn

I'm sure I was one of the last people to be accepted in Oct 2006. I was amazed at the content of the packs and what it must have cost to put together.

David.