Thread: What is the weather like?

Default What is the weather like?

Hi

We want to immigrate from sunny Durban, SA and we were wondering what the weather is like in NZ? My wife in particular is not too fond of the cold. Any suggestions on where we should live?

Sunniest parts of NZ are Nelson and Bay of Plenty (Tauranga). Northland never gets to cold (Whangarei, Keri Keri etc).

You will find NZ MUCH colder than Durban, whereever you are.

http://www.metservice.com/default/in...ummaries192937

this gives long term averages for all of NZ.

ttttttto cccccold.....cccccan't ttttttype

Milliemoo

I used to live near Durban (Pinetown) many years ago and if your wife is looking for similar weather here in NZ then I'm afraid she will be disappointed.

Brad 77 is right.

We now live near Tauranga and I have to say, even here it's getting a bit chilly in the morning and in the evenings now. Winter months like yours are June, July and August.

When the sun shines though, as it does nearly every day, it soon warms the house up (make sure your property gets the sun!!)

I haven't had to wear a fleece or a jacket during the day yet, but I certainly would in the evening.

Julie

xx

Minus four at 09:30 in Christchurch this morning !!!

Would suggest avoiding South Island if you can't deal with a little chilliness on occasion.

Never really gets proper cold north of Auckland but gets a lorra lorra rain.

A stated above, Nelson and Hawkes Bay have the best all round weather reputations.

We had this a lot when we told people we were moving - "great weather" they'd say. Not sure where people get the idea from that NZ is a hot place. Maybe it's just Brits being a bit thick. Bizarrely I had quite a few people thinking it was close to Japan as well.

Exactly how the British education system has gained such a good reputation over the years is beyond me !

Sam (hopefully a little less stupid than your average Brit)

Forgot to say that if you live in an older house that isn't insulated and then insulated again you will be colder in the house than outside !!

NZ has just passed some new legislation or other that makes it law for newly built houses in the South Island (but only parts of the North Island) to be double glazed.....and about time too !!!

I have to say that I find the advertisements on the TV for insulation and/or heating products to be really quite amusing - they act as though insulating your house to achieve more cost effective heating from your appliances is a new concept !!

Aaah well - onwards and upwards.

Julie

xx

Is that upward into the loft with some fibreglass and onward to the woolly jumper emporium ?

Still getting used to the inside/outside cold/warm anomoly. Weird.

Bond and Bond and Noel Leeming do a roaring trade on heaters and dehumidifiers I notice, bet they opposed the new laws

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyBeardyBloke View Post
    Is that upward into the loft with some fibreglass and onward to the woolly jumper emporium ?

Sam - how did you guess ??.....

Talking of dehumidifiers though, even though we live in a brand new house (no double glazing !!) we used to get an awful lot of condensation on the windows, aluminium frames and all that. Anyway, we bought a dehumidifier last week and what a difference - it's really quite amazing. No condensation on the windows, but more importantly we are now heating dry air and it soon gets toasty warm and stays that way.

I feel like I've gone back 20+ years as far as the housing here is concerned !!

Anyway, back to OP's question......like BBB says - bring a sweater !!

Julie

xx

Well, the weather definitely seems better than Britain, but maybe we've been lucky so far. There is certainly more sun and less wind than there was in Cornwall. It'll probably seem cold and horrid compared to Durban though.