Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teachers pay

Unhappy Teachers pay

Hi all
    My OH is currently in auckland on reccie. Things are mostly positive so far regarding his job prospects (IT) but I am more than alittle concerned about the pay I can earn over there. The houses prices aren't that much cheaper than where we live in england(newcastle) and the food etc. seems to be on a par but my wages would be cut in half I am right or am I misunderstanding payscales. I work for the local authority here as an English/ literacy consultant in secondary schools. My job is basically helping schools raise standards and so I am on the equivalent of deputy head wage here. I can't find any jobs similar to that in nz, although I am told literacy is a big issue at the moment. I am earning what would be about $100,00+ out there. None of the education wages out there seem to reach half that.
    It may sound a lot but we want to live in an area with good schools for the kids as we have in England and we would still need a sizeable mortgage because of house prices and not bringing huge amounts of money with us.
    Am I being unrealitic or is it fair to say that even though my husband and I have the skills NZ is crying out for we can't afford to live there?
    I really don't want cost of living to be the reason we don't go - can anyone reassure me please?
    Thanks Diane

I am earning what would be about $100,00+ out there.
    How are you reaching that figure?

If you're just multiplying your GBP income by the exchange rate then you're not getting the answer you need.

Hi Diane

Have you tried searching 'salary' on the forum? You should as we always comment upon it.

One that you might find useful is at http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....=herald+salary

Also, I know of one teacher who contracts and that seems to work pretty well. If you would like to email her, I could always get her email address so you could discuss any concerns.

p.s. looking forward to meeting your oh this Friday. We promise to look after him.

Hi Diane

I am a (fulltime) secondary school English teacher with 5 years previous work experience taken "into consideration' when being assessed for my salary, and my annual income is $51,600 i bring home $1,500 per fortnight (after stoppages) this is a good wage here. I have not met any teachers that earn anywhere near $100,00 that is a huge wage here.

p.s i am about to receive an extra 4k per annum for a middle management position i have been coherced into!

I earned 28,000 pounds per year for the same in UK (with 3,000 on top for a development role)

hope this gives you some idea.

Sue

I know my sister is earning around $80k at one of auckland's high schools (she won't go into correct figure) but she is deputy dean of school year, so she had to deal with denetions (sp?), suspension and expel, she had to meet parents that she hate the most and to deal with teachers, school timetable etc ....higher responsbilities mean more pay. She have not heard "normal" teachers reach $100,000+
    Just remember that NZ have lower level of earning than UK...so don't expect you will be working at same wages level as UK.

I'm a primary teacher in Auckland with about 4 years experience and a masters degree. My salary is $56,000.

I think teachers earn quite a good salary over here. I have a couple of management points and a retention point. I have 6 years experience and I'm on $66,000.

My partner has only just finished her NQT year, this is her first year if you like in teaching. She will earn $44000 when she arrives in nz this figure was given to us by the teahcer council people. In the UK she earns £23000 so that is a pay cut of around 30%, using the above response she also had a pay cut of around 32%. If you take that as an average cut you can work out your potential wage.

OH is currently early years team leader with 2 threshold payments earning around mid £30k.
    expecting around $55-60k in nz but waiting for teachers council

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the advice . I think i will take advice and read other threads. Just don't want to make the move and find we can't managed. i am reassured by those who have said it is okay.
    Thanks Diane
    PS take good care of my OH Tony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast